Halo 2 Crashing on gfwl

Jun 11, 2014
Gamertag
xKillerBigMac
[BBvideo 800,490:1x1tb94j]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOadAUUr23U[/BBvideo]Please look at what I post as I have found a way for you to play halo 2 again. As you all know halo 2 has game voice chat and gfwl has one too. So on halo 2 the speaker icon blinks but dose not work because it has not been disabled on halo 2 vista improperly. On gfwl they did disable it for good so what happened is that you can play campaign because it dose not have voice chat built in so it will not crash. So try to go into gfwl settings and then click voice and you crash on halo 2 only. If you have another gfwl game and go to the gfwl setting and then click on voice and mute your mic and then go back on halo 2 now you can play.

Jun 11, 2014
Gamertag
xKillerBigMac
Mar 22, 2013
www.twitch.tv
Gamertag
XHN SCRAPY
never had my game crash when ever i had all that enabled in campaign or MP i talk in ts and the GFWL private chat party system and nothing crashed.

tweek

Dev
Project Cartographer Staff
Nov 29, 2013
We first noticed there was a problem when we tried to create a new online profile (gamertag) and use it on Halo 2. The game would crash (Halo 2 for Windows Vista has stopped working...) when you tried to join a lobby using that new gamertag you just created. However, existing gamertags would work just fine.

We think it has something to do with the latest Halo 2 update... Any profiles created before the update worked fine but ones that were created after caused the game to crash. Maybe, idk...

Mac spent the better part of the day searching for the cause of the issue and it turns out that the game crashing has something to do with the broken voice chat in GFWL/Halo2. Basically Mac figured out that the microphone needs to be muted in the GFWL settings page (the one you see when you press the home button in game and click settings). This will prevent the game from crashing when you use a new profile. However, accessing this menu from Halo2 is impossible because something is broken.

So, download and install Tinker, which is a free GFWL game, log in with the profile that causes Halo2 to crash.. dont bother updating when it asks (not necessary) and press the HOME button to access the GFWL menu and go to Settings, Voice, and click Mute Microphone. Now try running Halo 2 and game should not crash when you join a lobby.

Whats strange is.. why do old profiles work but the new ones don't?

Glitchy Scripts

Lead Dev
Project Cartographer Staff
Apr 9, 2013
GlitchyScripts.com
Extra profile data maybe? Has the profile ever left the computer and been redownloaded? or maybe even used on xbox then? Here's an idea to test that, delete the profile and download it onto the xbox, then go back onto H2 pc then redownload it...
I'm very curious about that cos i made a profile half recently but it didn't cause me any issues, i made it via the xbox website then downloaded and installed it via halo 2 pc.

Bagel

Members
Mar 20, 2013
NY
Gamertag
Spazieyyy
Iv never had that problem before I created many new gt and none of them caused
my game to crash what so ever This is honestly the first time iv ever heard of this
problem.