Feb 14, 2013
www.youtube.com
Gamertag
UncutFighter
I plan to update this guide more soon.

Halo 2 PC Dedicated Server Setup Guide

- First download the Halo 2 Dedicated Server Pack here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Ua-qYhRavNU-EXuXxPXZIR44eL1TRED/view
- Extract the Halo 2 Dedicated Server folder to a location of your choosing (Preferably the root of your C: Drive)

- Run the dxwebsetup.exe and install it

- Download the latest Project Cartographer files, then extract and place them in the Halo 2 Dedicated Server folder
Download: http://www.h2maps.net/Cartographer/Installer/manual_update/cartographer_manual_update.zip

- Make a Project Cartographer account in game, activate it, then open h2serverconfig1.ini located in the server folder with notepad

- In the server config file, enter the account login information in the login fields.
Example: login_identifier = *ACCOUNT NAME* and login_password = *PASSWORD*

- Make sure the base_port = is set to an already forwarded port range (base port +10.). Example: 1000-1010 UDP.
For port forwarding help visit: https://portforward.com/

- Set the playlist = to a custom or pre-made hpl playlist file. Example: C:\Halo 2 Dedicated Server\Playlists\Team_slayer.hpl

- Click file, then save the h2serverconfig1.ini file

- Hold shift and right click in the Halo 2 Dedicated Server folder, then select Command Prompt or PowerShell (these will both work the same for this process)

- Type: h2server.exe -createservice -live -instance:1

- Press enter and once the server instance installation is done, log out of Windows and log back in.

- In Windows, open the start menu and search for "Services", open Services and look for Halo 2 Dedicated Server

- Right click and select Stop (if it's already running)

- Search for Windows Firewall in the Windows start menu and open "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security". Select Inbound Rules, then select "New rule" on the right

- Select Program, then next. Click browse and navigate to the server folder location. Select h2server.exe, continue, select Allow the Connection, press next, then check and allow all 3 options, hit next and name it Halo 2 Server

- Select Outbound Rules, and do the same as for inbound, selecting h2server.exe, Allow the Connection, and allow all 3 options, click next and name it Halo 2 Server

- In Windows, press start and search for Computer Management. Open and select Local Users & Groups. Double click Users to open

- Right click H2Server1 and select properties. Click the "Members Of" tab. Select "Add" then type in the lower box: Administrators , Press OK then Apply

- In Windows, press start and search for "regedit". Open regedit and navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > ControlSet001 > Services and select h2server_1

- Right click ImagePath and select Modify. Go to the end of the line and add a space after -live and type: -h2config="*H2SERVERCONFIG LOCATION* Example: -h2config="C:\Halo 2 Dedicated Server\h2serverconfig1.ini"

- ImagePath should look somewhat like this: "C:\h2server\h2server.exe -service -live -h2config="C:\h2server\h2serverconfig1.ini"

- Press OK then close regedit

- Go back to Services, right click Halo 2 Dedicated Server #1 and select Start

- Shift + right click in the server folder and run Command Prompt or PowerShell again. Enter: h2admin.exe -live

- After connecting to the instance, enter: live autosignin a (it doesn't matter what you put for "a"). Press enter, then enter twice for the passwords (again, doesn't matter)

Your server should now be up!!!

*To uninstall server, simply open a Command Prompt or PowerShell window in the server folder and enter: h2server.exe -deleteservice -live

You can change your game's base port in C:\Users\[PC Username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Halo 2 and edit your halo2config1.ini

Managing and controlling your server

- For more info on controlling the Halo 2 Server, shift right click in the server folder, open Command Prompt or PowerShell, and connect to the instance you want to control. Enter: h2admin.exe -live

- After connected to the instance, type "status" for info on your server and type "help" for a list of commands
*You can check out the "readme.rtf" file located in the server folder for more, however this was made for the base game and has not been updated for Project Cartographer

- In the server folder there is a folder called "TOOLS", it has a few community made programs in it that you may find useful, such as a playlist creator

*You can find a server tool which makes managing and controlling servers much easier at http://www.halo2pc.com/ and select "Server Tool" for more info

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020
Gamertag
halos12831
Having an odd issue. Hosting server, works great for everyone but me? Everyone else can connect to it but I can't.

I changed the ports for the server to 12000 - 12010. And even tried changing my game's port to 3000. Still getting errors that I cannot join when I'm on the same network as the server.

Feb 14, 2013
www.youtube.com
Gamertag
UncutFighter
Having an odd issue. Hosting server, works great for everyone but me? Everyone else can connect to it but I can't.

I changed the ports for the server to 12000 - 12010. And even tried changing my game's port to 3000. Still getting errors that I cannot join when I'm on the same network as the server.
Being able to join your own server that is hosted on the same network you are playing is a bit tricky at the moment with the way the Project handles that, here are two possible sollutions.

First try adding both the WAN and LAN information for both the h2serverconfig.ini as well as your client halo2config.ini which is located in
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Halo 2

Another possible sollution is to use a VPN.

Apr 23, 2020
Gamertag
DaniDiaz30
Good morning, I have a problem with my dedicated server and that is that 2 friends cannot enter my server, I have noticed that my friends who cannot enter my dedicated server have the Windows 7 operating system, and I have my server Dedicated on a Windows 10 computer, does anyone have any idea what could be the problem that Windows 7 users cannot access a server running on Windows 10? the other people who enter my server have windows 10 and can enter perfectly. I appreciate your responses.

Apr 23, 2020
Gamertag
DaniDiaz30
Being able to join your own server that is hosted on the same network you are playing is a bit tricky at the moment with the way the Project handles that, here are two possible sollutions.

First try adding both the WAN and LAN information for both the h2serverconfig.ini as well as your client halo2config.ini which is located in

Stop service "Halo 2 Dedicated Server #1" and you can join and others too

May 10, 2020
Gamertag
bbhoss
I'm having the same issue. With debug logging everything looks good, it just doesn't show up in the list. Did you figure it out?

Jan 14, 2019
Gamertag
Yuri Bacon
Someone finally made a public guide for everyone to be able to setup and run their own server. Sweeeeeeet~ TBH I had considered writing one up after posting H2GEM but I guess there is no need for me to :p

Aug 6, 2019
Gamertag
-[Morro]-
[QUOTE = "pumacens, post: 16787, member: 32629"] ¡Hola !, configuré mi servidor y está (supousivamente) ejecutándose pero no puedo verlo en la lista del juego.

View attachment 739

Lo mismo si trato de alojar un juego. [/ QUOTE]

¿Cómo estás amigo? Tengo el mismo problema, ¿podrías resolverlo?
Hi!, i setup my server and is (supousely) running but i can't see it in the game's list.

View attachment 739

The same if i try to host a game.

How are you doing my friend, I have the same problem, could you solve it?

Aug 6, 2019
Gamertag
-[Morro]-
[QUOTE = "RaVenky1991, publicación: 17282, miembro: 33350"] Ok
Me lo imaginé. ¿Cómo sé que está funcionando? [/ QUOTE]

could you always create one?