Halo 2 Vista Installation Guide (Obsolete)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2014
Gamertag
YoshinJaaa
Hey everyone! For those of you who would like to setup Halo 2 Vista, this thread will help you get it up and running. Simply follow these steps to install the game. Halo 2 Vista is compatible with Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 operating systems.

[mod="YoshinJaa"] This guide presumes that you already own a copy of this game or have owned a copy of this game in the past. We do not support piracy[/mod]

SECTION I: Installing Halo 2 Vista
If you do have a physical copy of Halo 2 and the DVD is corrupted or not readable, you can try either the ISO link or the .torrent file. If you would like to buy the game, click here to browse various sellers. Please download one of either links. You will need an image mounting program for the ISO or a torrent client for the torrent file:
Halo 2 ISO - Google Drive
Daemon Tools Lite Free (mounts the ISO)
- OR -
Halo 2 Torrent
uTorrent (downloads the torrent file)

Besides needing the game, you will also need the following programs installed before attempting to continue to the installation section of this guide. Download and install each program before continuing:
WinRAR (select either x64 or x86 depending on your version of Windows)
Games for Windows Live Client
.NET Framework 4.5.2 (needed to use H2 Shark; explained in section II).

Click the spoiler for installation instructions on how to setup using the torrent. With the ISO, simply install Daemon Tools and then create a new virtual drive (click the +DT button in Daemon Tools) and then browse and mount the .iso to that drive.
  1. After downloading the torrent, locate "HALO 2.rar" (likely in Downloads folder) and right click on the file and select "Extract To HALO 2"
  2. After the file is extracted to the HALO 2 folder, open the folder and double click on Startup
  3. Select Customize Game Install
  4. Select Full Install, Do Not Start and then click Continue
  5. Halo 2 is now installed on your computer. Continue to either "How to Use H2Launcher" or "Activating Halo 2 Vista" section to activate your game with a product key.

[highlight=#ff0000]!IMPORTANT![/highlight]
As of right now any information below here is useless H2Shark/H2Launcher have been discontinued and will most likely not be revived, the only project which can assist you in getting online, activating and getting into game currently is Project Cartographer aka H2V:Online ( http://www.h2v.online ).

Right now there's nothing officially released and you won't be able to play online just yet, I'll update this section of this post when you can and we'll make sure to provide detailed instructions.

SECTION II: How to Use H2Launcher
This section covers how to use H2Launcher, also known as H2 Shark. H2 Shark is a "client" program that runs Halo 2 for you instead of running the game like normal (using a game shortcut or searching and playing). H2 Shark is required to be able to connect to rank-enabled servers as the game was not made to display ranks normally. You can get the client patch here: Download H2Launcher. Here are some other tidbits of H2 Shark:
  • H2 Shark (known as H2Launcher) can start Halo 2 for you and is recommended for use if you would like to receive the features (like Xbox FoV) and ranks it provides.
  • If your game was already activated and you were playing previously, you do not need to 'activate' H2 Shark in order to use H2 Shark. Just select Play Game and then register or login once you have linked your H2PC account.
  • When using H2 Shark to register an H2PC account, this account is linked to your Windows Live ID (the same thing that is used to sign into Live) and only requires the gamertag's email in order to authenticate itself. Passwords created when registering does not have to be the same password used for your Windows Live ID and is strongly recommended to not be the same password. Your password is encrypted on our end, so we are unable to see the password created when registering your gamertag.
  • Your H2PC account is completely separate from the forum accounts if you choose to register an account here on the forums.
  • H2 Shark has an auto-updater function, so when a new patch arrives, it will download it and apply it automatically.

MAKE SURE TO LAUNCH THE GAME USING H2LAUNCHER, IF NOT, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE THE ADDITIONAL FEATURES H2 SHARK PROVIDES! RANKED SERVERS ARE DOWN AT THIS TIME.

[BBvideo 800,490:1n4hubeq]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdAJPL1rQvk[/BBvideo]

Click the spoiler button for instructions:
  1. Visit the H2Launcher Update page and click Get Patch and download .NET Framework 4.5.2 if you have not done so previously: click here to visit the update page
  2. Extract H2Launcher.zip. Copy or Move H2Launcher (the shark icon) to your desktop
  3. Right-click on H2Launcher and select Run as Administrator. If your game is already activated, click Play Game otherwise go to SECTION III.
  4. Click on Register. The game will open up in windowed mode. Sign into your gamertag. After you do, the H2Launcher window will pop up with your gamertag email already filled in. Create a new password and verify it. This is used to link your gamertag to our database in order to retrieve ranking and stat data correctly. Once you click Register and you see Registration Successful, the game will close.
  5. Login to your H2PC account which you just created. The game will then restart.
  6. Sign into your Live gamertag that was registered the H2PC account. You are now able to play on ranked servers! Be sure to continue using H2Launcher as your game shortcut in order to play on ranked servers and have access to features as they come out.

SECTION III: Activating Halo 2 Vista
In order to register your game copy for use, you will need to provide a product key. The key used in the phone activation was to activate Live. Now we need to activate your game in order to be able to play it. There are two options you can choose:
  • Purchase a Universal Product Key from various sites. Click the spoiler button to reveal various online vendors. Steam is the best way to get a key quickly. CDKeyPort is the cheapest, but may take longer to receive an email of arrival.
  • Use H2Launcher's Activator feature. This feature gives one of our product key's for use. Using Activator also updates Halo 2 the latest version before launching the game as well.
If you need additional help, feel free to join us in TeamSpeak. Simply download TeamSpeak 3. Once you have installed it, open it up and click Connections > Connect and type in for the server address: ts.h2pc.org, no password, with a nickname. That's it!

Hope you guys enjoy this guide on how to install Halo 2 Vista and how to use H2 Shark as well!

May 23, 2015
Gamertag
VekkuliTehNull
Re: Halo 2 Vista Installation Guide

Got GAME BREAKING problem... When I try to play Halo 2. It started normally, but when I wait for while, the Game starts to lag so much. And then it crashed. And my H2Launcher.exe is broken. When the launcher wanted to know my halo2vista account, I accidentally pressed register and the program crashed my computer (NET. error, because a bad coding...) and I can't use H2Launcher.exe anymore. When I start it, it's going to close just when I started it (I can't even see it, I only saw it on toolbar). So I got 2 problems. Now I try halo2vista's .iso file to install it.

Let's see what happens.
I would like a answer...

May 23, 2015
Gamertag
VekkuliTehNull

And now I got a BIGGER problem. When Im trying to install Halo 2 this happens.

Halo 2 for Windows Vista

Files are missing or damaged in installation directory.
Some important files required to run this game are missing in the installation directory.

Now I must wait another hour to download this crud again!

May 23, 2015
Gamertag
VekkuliTehNull

FIXED: I go to the installer and pressed the Play button. It started to install Halo and then it crashed (because it wasn't installed) and now I can see it on programs and deleted it :) So I can install it now :D

Original message: Can't install the game, because installer thinks it's installed.

Jun 29, 2015
Gamertag
Darrienperry77

When I try to login on Gfwl it tells me I gotta update halo 2 and when I try to update it it doesn't work can someone please help me

Aug 29, 2015

Did you solve the issue you were having several weeks ago with updating? I just joined the site today. I got the game 2 days ago and figured everything out in one day. If you need help just let me know.

Oct 9, 2015
Gamertag
the killer J00

Hi there.

I have Halo 2 Vista installed along with the H2 Launcher (b3.4). A month or two ago, I was playing online games with no problem. Now I can't see ANY servers.

"There are no Live games available at this time"

Is what I see when I browse Live games. This is the case when I launch with H2 Launcher AND when I launch without it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mar 22, 2013
www.twitch.tv
Gamertag
XHN SCRAPY

servers are offline atm. Microsoft needs to turn the server box on that allows us to play via xbox live :/ lol

with all the windows 10 auto updates, makes me wonder...... if the server box was updated to Windows 10 and broke the server box or erased all the server files needed to play halo 2 pc online via xbox live lol.........

Dec 11, 2015

Please Help!!!

I have a hard copy of H2 with the DVD/CDROM and have tried a couple different tips and tricks to get it to run on my Windows 8 Laptop, but have had no success. :( Every time I try to start the game it tells me that it can launch because another Windows Live App is already running. (Halo 2 Windows Live Dedicated Server.) Then it says I should uninstall it and reinstall it to fix, but nothing works. what do I do?

Himanshu01

Lead Dev
Project Cartographer Staff
May 16, 2013
India
Gamertag
Himanshu01

Try Unistalling ,Rebooting and again Installing
No idea why this happens
It has happened to me also many a times so what i do is i leave it for some days and again install it and it works

PNill

Lead Dev
Project Cartographer Staff
Oct 25, 2015
Gamertag
TDxPermaNulled

Master Crim said:
Please Help!!!

I have a hard copy of H2 with the DVD/CDROM and have tried a couple different tips and tricks to get it to run on my Windows 8 Laptop, but have had no success. :( Every time I try to start the game it tells me that it can launch because another Windows Live App is already running. (Halo 2 Windows Live Dedicated Server.) Then it says I should uninstall it and reinstall it to fix, but nothing works. what do I do?
Are you actually trying to run the dedicated server?

Also Xliveless will make this not happen... and XLive the real one isn't really required or usable anymore unless you're doing single player achievements.

Feb 12, 2016
Gamertag
Noble Six ROCKS

I have successfully installed both the Halo 2 game and the H2 Shark. However, my launcher says whenever I start it that it cannot connect to the servers. After looking around for a while, I have discovered that the servers have been down for some time, but there are also posts talking about the servers being back up. I am more than a little confused and would appreciate some assistance.

Aug 17, 2015
Gamertag
SoddyBoi

Noble Six ROCKS said:
I have successfully installed both the Halo 2 game and the H2 Shark. However, my launcher says whenever I start it that it cannot connect to the servers. After looking around for a while, I have discovered that the servers have been down for some time, but there are also posts talking about the servers being back up. I am more than a little confused and would appreciate some assistance.
The Microsoft servers for Halo 2 Vista are currently down, PNill and some other H2V community members are working on a way to create your own servers. But as far as I know, servers are down.

Feb 12, 2016
Gamertag
Noble Six ROCKS

Sod said:
Noble Six ROCKS said:
The Microsoft servers for Halo 2 Vista are currently down, PNill and some other H2V community members are working on a way to create your own servers. But as far as I know, servers are down.
Thanks! That makes more sense.

Mar 5, 2016
Gamertag
xdissolved

awesome. i've been needing a replacement since xbc got shut down. hopefully it works.

Apr 3, 2016
Gamertag
Player1 Gothard

I have the game installed but it doesn't find any servers, does someone want to do a remote access to fix me up?

I'd love to play halo 2 again.

Status
Not open for further replies.