Halo 2 Vista - Melee Help Needed

Aug 17, 2015
Gamertag
SoddyBoi
Hey everyone - I was wondering if there's a way for the player Elite (or other characters) to share the same animation for melee and other movements as the AI Elite (or other characters).
I do know that the grenade throw animations are the same between the AI and player. I'm using Assembly to create changes.

Video below is related and demonstrates the differences between AI and player. Any help is appreciated.

https://youtu.be/AcTrnD9RuIc

Mar 20, 2016
Go to your player's biped, then open your character's model (hltm) tag, then go to your character's animation (jmad) tag. Go to the first flag group called Inheritance flags, then check "Inherit For Use On Player". That should fix the issue.

Aug 17, 2015
Gamertag
SoddyBoi
Ling Ling said:
Go to your player's biped, then open your character's model (hltm) tag, then go to your character's animation (jmad) tag. Go to the first flag group called Inheritance flags, then check "Inherit For Use On Player". That should fix the issue.
This is what I've been doing:
Matg > globals/globals > "Player Representation" > Third Person Unit Bipd "Masterchief" > Change to "Elite"
Then with your step.
Jmad > characters/elite/elite > Inheritance Flags > Tick "Inherit for use on player"

However this doesn't add the melee animations to the player Elite.

*edit* Pictures for reference.

Attachments

Mar 20, 2016
Oops, yeah, I wrote that down a while ago and forgot to add context to my notes. It seems to work when you're just model swapping, so when you put the elite model in Arby's biped, it gives the elites the animations of the Arbiter. So its just a quick and dirty way of forcing elite bipeds to use Arby's animations. I never actually isolated exactly what changes the animation set each biped used, as I've never been that interested.

More generally, it doesn't seem like its just a matter of turning melee animations off and on. Certain animations work (The Hunter's melee works just fine) with player input, and others seemingly don't. I'll keep looking into it.

Aug 17, 2015
Gamertag
SoddyBoi
Yeah, I've been trying to find a way to mimic the animations 100% - like how the elite does a little lunge forwards as he melees etc. Just seems weird how only some animations work. I'll keep looking for ways to achieve this.
Thank you Ling :) appreciated.

Mar 20, 2016
Well I fucked around with the animation tags for a bit, and the solution ended up being what I thought it would be, but its a bit of a pain without chunk reallocation. Each melee animation is going to have to be "repaired" by hand.

First, go the elite jmad. Then go to the modes block, then find the combat sub-block, then pistol. Now, we could go and repair each individual pistol, but that's a waste of time and needless destruction of existing animations. Instead, go to "any" in the sub-block "Weapon Type". Now, this is the nasty part; we have to choose an animation to overwrite. In the "Overlays" block I chose to replace the "wave" chunk because it doesn't seem important. So I replaced "wave" with "melee" and then changed the animation index to 152. This fixes the melee for ALL pistol types; SMG, PR, PP, Magnum, ect.

Similarly, do the exact same thing for each "Weapon Class" you want to fix, and you should be finished. Do note that the animation doesn't sync amazingly well with the actual player melee, but its much more fluid than being stuck in an animation.

Now if you want to do this for other bipeds (say, Brutes for example ;) ), you're going to have to do something similar. Find its corresponding "melee" animation index somewhere under the "actions" block, and then replace an existing overlay. Feel free to experiment with different results and make sure no important animation get overwritten.

May 29, 2015
Teddyland
unitedfalconclan.roflforum.net
Gamertag
UF ShadowTeddy
This isn't relevant to any if the current discussion at hand, but some time ago
I managed to change all elite bipeds on The Great Journey to the Master Chief Biped which made for some pretty interesting outcomes. One of them being that when the AI Spartan had an Energy Sword, he couldn't use it. At all (Meaning that whenever he'd engage an enemy, he would just walk up to them and do nothing)

I assume this is due to the animation not existing for a spartan or i might have screwed something up.
And that's pretty much it lol haha :D.

I'll probably try to re-attempt this at a later date and figure out what's going on through trial and error.

Mar 20, 2016
UF ShadowTeddy said:
This isn't relevant to any if the current discussion at hand, but some time ago
I managed to change all elite bipeds on The Great Journey to the Master Chief Biped which made for some pretty interesting outcomes. One of them being that when the AI Spartan had an Energy Sword, he couldn't use it. At all (Meaning that whenever he'd engage an enemy, he would just walk up to them and do nothing)

I assume this is due to the animation not existing for a spartan or i might have screwed something up.
And that's pretty much it lol haha :D.

I'll probably try to re-attempt this at a later date and figure out what's going on through trial and error.
That makes sense, since MC's sword melee animation only exists as an overlay. It would certainly make sense that you could do the reverse and turn MC's sword strike overlay into an action...probably. Finding reusable action chunks on the MC might be somewhat difficult, however, so you might have to replace a landing animation or something.

Aug 17, 2015
Gamertag
SoddyBoi
Thanks Ling, just for clarification, do you always change the animation index to 152?

Mar 20, 2016
Sod said:
Thanks Ling, just for clarification, do you always change the animation index to 152?
Yes, "152" in the elite jmad means "do a melee animation". You can confirm that for yourself by looking at the exact screen in my first screenshot, and then exploring the "Actions" block. It lists all of the elite combat animations, including melee, firing, reloading, ect, that are all fairly well labeled, and each contains a number that corresponds to a specific action.

The number will be different in other bipeds, or nonexistent if the biped doesn't have a melee animation.