Help? Banned because of my room mate?

May 21, 2018
Gamertag
timextoxlive
Hi everybody!

My roommate (Agent Texas) was recently banned for cheating. This ban was legitimate, as I know she used to cheat.

However, it now looks like my account is banned as well?

The really annoying thing is that this ban doesn't even bother her, but I really love playing halo 2.

I understand that you guys have to take measures to prevent cheating, and I both respect and support that. I just hope that I'm not permanently banned because of her.

Do I have any recourse, or am I screwed because of my room mate?

Thanks for any info or help!

May 21, 2018
Gamertag
timextoxlive
Ok, so after reading around on the site a little, I found that any PC/IP sharing means that all related accounts are banned when one of them is caught cheating.

I also saw that, if this is a first offence, it is possible to get a second chance. I have never had problems before, I personally do not cheat, and I'll make sure that my room mate does not play Halo on my computer any more.

Does anyone know how I go about appealing for that second chance? I can promise that it will not happen again from my computer.

Apr 16, 2018
Gamertag
AhegaoOuji
I keep seeing a lot of people state that they had a friend or roommate or brother or sister hack using their accounts. Weird huh?

May 19, 2018
Gamertag
KyloModzz
Yeah I think it was just a shitty aimbot I see many people using it any random person can make one I think the whole ip ban thing is flawed but it gets the job done I do believe that leaving it up to the servers to ban people I do personally like this system but it’s is flawed how about you have cheaters play against each other separate from normal players or have them 1v1 for unban (lol that was a joke)

May 21, 2018
Gamertag
timextoxlive
Ok, so I understand that some don't believe me because this seems to be a common excuse.

I get it. Shifting the blame to someone else seems to be a common tactic for cheaters.
However, people do undeniably share IP addresses with family members, room mates, and others.
Therefore, there *must* be a percentage of us that are unfairly banned due to IP address sharing.
It may be a minority, but given the IP ban, it statistically must occur.

To reiterate for "CaptainMcYumYum", it was not my account.
I simply share an IP address with the account that my room mate used.
Don't you think that those are slightly different situations?
I'm not asking for the cheating account to be unbanned. I'm only asking for the associated accounts.

If y'all believe that people like me are necessary collateral damage in the effort against cheating, I understand.
I can promise that I'm not lying, but I just don't know how to prove it to you, and without proof I understand that you have no reason to believe me.

This is supposed to be the place to come to clear your name - I'm just asking how to do so.
If there is anything I can do to prove my innocence or appeal the ban, I would sincerely appreciate it if the staff would let me know!
Likewise, if there is nothing I can do, I would appreciate that information as well.

Especially in light of the doubt expressed above, I sincerely appreciate anyone who can give me any useful information on the topic!
Thanks!

Jun 4, 2018
Shadow Moses, Alaska
Gamertag
That Sky Guy
You can always use a proxy to 'change' your IP address. Provided your ISP gives you a solid amount of bandwidth, you should be able to play H2 Online without significant lag.

However, ensure your roommate is briefed and made aware of policy and the code of conduct.

Jun 4, 2018
Shadow Moses, Alaska
Gamertag
That Sky Guy
ive tried this still banned on my main
If you are banned, you deserve to stay banned. The rules are established for a reason and evasion of a ban can further your punishment.

On the technical side, the staff developed the system to prevent people from evading bans. It's also an imperfect (and easy to see through) method: you can liken it to trying to sneak into a movie theater after being kicked out by wearing a fake mustache and glasses.

Aug 17, 2015
Gamertag
SoddyBoi
Try contacting a staff member to resolve the ban, they'll be able to look into it.