Hi, need help with switching character model and AI

Mar 15, 2017
Gamertag
FB GameFreak nz
Hi, i'm very new to modding Halo2 for PC. I need help with switching character model and AI on the level Sacred Icon. I've been trying to change the ally Jackals into ally Brutes. I've been playing around with the Assembly program, and I've managed to change the Jackals into brutes, but they have no AI and just stand still empty handed. I've also edited the Jackal Major premutation into the Brute Captain premutation but they spawn as Brute Honor Guards sometimes. Thanks for reading, and any help would be much appreciated :)

Aug 17, 2015
Gamertag
SoddyBoi
I'll help you get started and mod along side you.
Alright, so make sure to back up your original map file to begin with.
Each mission has a different character/weapon/vehicle palette, these determine which numbers are assigned to which character/weapon/vehicle.

To edit your allies go to scnr - and click the option.
Once in scnr, search for 'squads'.
We'll change the first encounter which is called 'pussy_grunt' - he's the once hiding in the corner near the drop piece.
The Character Index will be set to '14' which is a Grunt Major - to make him a Brute change the Character Index to '18'
You will have to change his starting weapon as '2' is Plasma Pistol, change it to '1' Carbine.

Hit save if the game/map isnt open or hit poke if you're ingame/mission.

Here's what Assembly should look like:

Here's what it looks like in-game:

*EDIT*
Here's a link to the Character/Weapon values http://www.mediafire.com/file/9bdqopq2b ... lwalls.txt

Attachments

Mar 15, 2017
Gamertag
FB GameFreak nz
I've just tried it out and it worked! Thanks! I have one more question if you don't mind me asking. When I change a character, for example, let's say the first grunt major in the pussy_grunt encounter into a brute, will the brute have the normal brute minor values or will it keep the grunt major health values?

Aug 17, 2015
Gamertag
SoddyBoi
He'll gain the Brutes health, stats etc.
Same would happen if you made a Brute a Grunt, etc.
Have fun! Keep at modding, it's good fun.

Aug 17, 2015
Gamertag
SoddyBoi
If you have anymore questions, I'm happy to help. I know a little bit about modding the campaign, so fire them at me. Anyway - good luck ~ Hope to see you around.

Apr 20, 2016
Gamertag
redjackit
Sod said:
I'll help you get started and mod along side you.
Alright, so make sure to back up your original map file to begin with.
Each mission has a different character/weapon/vehicle palette, these determine which numbers are assigned to which character/weapon/vehicle.

To edit your allies go to scnr - and click the option.
Once in scnr, search for 'squads'.
We'll change the first encounter which is called 'pussy_grunt' - he's the once hiding in the corner near the drop piece.
The Character Index will be set to '14' which is a Grunt Major - to make him a Brute change the Character Index to '18'
You will have to change his starting weapon as '2' is Plasma Pistol, change it to '1' Carbine.

Hit save if the game/map isnt open or hit poke if you're ingame/mission.

Here's what Assembly should look like:

Here's what it looks like in-game:

*EDIT*
Here's a link to the Character/Weapon values http://www.mediafire.com/file/9bdqopq2b ... lwalls.txt
how do could you tell the number of the characters? i want to do the first mission where i swap Grunts to Brutes

Aug 17, 2015
Gamertag
SoddyBoi
In scnr if you search for "character palette" and "weapon palette" you'll find the numbers and character/weapons assigned to them.
As for swapping grunts into brutes on the first level, you can't do that through scnr squads because the brutes aren't assigned a character number (in the character palette).
You'll have to change another character into brute by changing their bipd.
So to make an elite be a brute, go to elite char and change the biped to brute.

May 31, 2018
Gamertag
Spartan b312 o
Hey so im atill kind of lost, how do i find the character weapon values? ive looked everywhere but cant seem to find them, and how did you get that mediafire txt file that was really useful

Aug 17, 2015
Gamertag
SoddyBoi
I made those media file txt files, you find the character / weapon values in scnr, search "character palette" or "weapon palette"

Jan 19, 2019
Gamertag
Panna
Hi! I wonder how I can change my ai into let's say a elite with full animations like when a grenade is close to exploding near that elite it will dive and melee close to a enemy. In Halo CE it's called bump possesion, where you take controll of a ai.

Feb 6, 2019
Gamertag
Lambda Core
Hi! I wonder how I can change my ai into let's say a elite with full animations like when a grenade is close to exploding near that elite it will dive and melee close to a enemy. In Halo CE it's called bump possesion, where you take controll of a ai.
To my knowledge there is no sort of bump possession in Halo 2, but I could be wrong on that. I haven't done any real modding for it in ages, I want to get back into it though. :p