How and where do I install Assembly and other H2EK tools?

Mar 20, 2019
Gamertag
BioGoji1989
Basically, I'd love to play around with Assembly and the newly unlocked H2EK, but my experience with the HEK of Halo CE has taught me that certain things need to be installed in certain places in order to work properly and avoid file permission problems. So, if anyone can give me some information on how to go about installing these programs, that would be really useful.

Mar 20, 2019
Gamertag
BioGoji1989
You don't have to install anything for Assembly. You just get it and use it.

As far as H2Codez goes read this.
https://num0005.github.io/h2codez_docs/w/home.html
Okay. The text files for H2Codez say that I need to have the original ISO file for the Halo 2 Map Editor. Fortunately, I still have my physical copy of Halo 2 Vista, but should I install the map editor in the default location chosen by the installation file, or should I install it in a folder on the Desktop as I have done with Halo Custom Edition and its various HEK related files, like MEK Essentials and whatnot?

Himanshu01

Lead Dev
Project Cartographer Staff
May 16, 2013
India
Gamertag
Himanshu01
Installing in default direcorry shouldnt create problem but if you want to install it in desktop,go for it

Num00000005

Lead Dev
Mar 14, 2018
The launcher should grant all users access to install location so you shouldn't have issues with permissions.

Mar 20, 2019
Gamertag
BioGoji1989
Okay. Now, um, to make sure that any changes I make are permanent (I've already backed up copies of the vanilla campaign maps for ease of mind), should I make sure that I don't have the game running when making these changes, or am I able to make changes while playing the game? I've seen some video's online where people open up Assembly while playing the very game that they're modding, so I'm a little unsure of the proper procedure.

Himanshu01

Lead Dev
May 16, 2013
India
Gamertag
Himanshu01
Both way works
Since you have already made the backups , you can edit maps without Halo 2 running
Then use Save to make changes permanent(Only works with Halo 2 not running)

As for realtime editing with halo 2 opened, make the desired changes and Hit Poke button(Make sure halo 2 is running)
This change is temporary and gets reset after restart