My name already taken??

Jun 1, 2016
Gamertag
ifyGecko
After some issues with getting everything fully working I have had to re-install the game a few times. Now when i launcher the game if still shows the profile i originally created and played online for a few days but when i go into network and play online it tells me my gamertag is "player". I have went into the profile in game to try and re-edit it and when i re-type exactly what was there before it says the name is already taken but um by me?? I have already played several games online in the past week with my name "ifyGecko". How can i get this to be set my correct "nom de plume" not some lame "player" generic?

PNill

Lead Dev
Project Cartographer Staff
Oct 25, 2015
Gamertag
TDxPermaNulled
ifyGecko said:
After some issues with getting everything fully working I have had to re-install the game a few times. Now when i launcher the game if still shows the profile i originally created and played online for a few days but when i go into network and play online it tells me my gamertag is "player". I have went into the profile in game to try and re-edit it and when i re-type exactly what was there before it says the name is already taken but um by me?? I have already played several games online in the past week with my name "ifyGecko". How can i get this to be set my correct "nom de plume" not some lame "player" generic?
You set your name in the launcher not in the game.

Glitchy Scripts

Lead Dev
Apr 9, 2013
GlitchyScripts.com
The launcher launches the game out of the installed directory on your pc, so if you once installed it in program files\microsoft games etc, then it will run the game in there. I told Super Sniper about that, hopefully there'll be a fix to allow selecting other directories other than the installed path when it exists.
So if you are changing the settings in another install directory, thats why the changes aren't taking effect.

Jun 1, 2016
Gamertag
ifyGecko
KILLER CHIEF said:
The launcher launches the game out of the installed directory on your pc, so if you once installed it in program files\microsoft games etc, then it will run the game in there. I told Super Sniper about that, hopefully there'll be a fix to allow selecting other directories other than the installed path when it exists.
So if you are changing the settings in another install directory, thats why the changes aren't taking effect.
your answer (to me atleast) was kinda vague, I have my game in the normal default directory in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games......not another directory? I would assume it would have been when i ran the halo 2 online launcher the i left the name field as the default "player" (was in such a rush to get everything working since i went from a minor dll issue that still allowed me to play online to couldn't even play campaign anymore)then proceeded to update then clicked play to start the game from the halo 2 online launcher. I have went into the directory and tried to edit the xlive.ini config file for the xliveEmulation but it will not allow me to change anything just view that "profile name 1 = Player". If there is a way i can fix this so the "player name" and "profile xuid 1" equal the same values as when i had initially played online last week that would "maybe" fix it??

PNill

Lead Dev
Oct 25, 2015
Gamertag
TDxPermaNulled
ifyGecko said:
KILLER CHIEF said:
your answer (to me atleast) was kinda vague, I have my game in the normal default directory in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games......not another directory? I would assume it would have been when i ran the halo 2 online launcher the i left the name field as the default "player" (was in such a rush to get everything working since i went from a minor dll issue that still allowed me to play online to couldn't even play campaign anymore)then proceeded to update then clicked play to start the game from the halo 2 online launcher. I have went into the directory and tried to edit the xlive.ini config file for the xliveEmulation but it will not allow me to change anything just view that "profile name 1 = Player". If there is a way i can fix this so the "player name" and "profile xuid 1" equal the same values as when i had initially played online last week that would "maybe" fix it??
The h2online launcher modifies the xlive.ini you shouldn't be launching the game without the launcher because you won't get any of the updates or etc.

If you want to change your name you need to do it in the launcher before you click "Play" if you're having issues with the launcher please say so, other then that the name in-game is based on the launcher not your profile name in the game the concept is pretty simple.

May 29, 2015
Teddyland
unitedfalconclan.roflforum.net
Gamertag
UF ShadowTeddy
If your having issues with the launcher not saving your name, you have an old version of said launcher. H2Online Launcher Version 0.0.0.7 Delete all copies of the launcher before updating

Launcher-less setup:
[offtopic]With that being said, if you stop using the launcher, edit the Xlive.ini with a random 16 digit number under XUID and a player name under 'Player_Name', and then save said notepad file
that should save your settings

Then run the game through halo2.exe (yes the game executable)
And see if your name appears[/offtopic]

Glitchy Scripts

Lead Dev
Apr 9, 2013
GlitchyScripts.com
ifyGecko said:
I have went into the directory and tried to edit the xlive.ini config file for the xliveEmulation but it will not allow me to change anything just view that "profile name 1 = Player". If there is a way i can fix this so the "player name" and "profile xuid 1" equal the same values as when i had initially played online last week that would "maybe" fix it??
Open notepad in admin mode, and/or open the launcher in admin mode. sounds like your unable to save changes.