Questions before I decide to download Halo 2.

Jan 7, 2019
Questions before I decide to download Halo 2.

1. Can you host the game on you own computer if you have the bandwidth?

2. If you can host a game can you kick and ban people "IN GAME" unlike Halo 5

3. Are there alot of servers to choose from?

4. Is forge in the game to make mods?

5. Is there a CTF mode?

Jan 7, 2019
1) yes
2) not yet
3) id say yes..but im not sure what your definition of "alot" is
4) no
5) of course.
Thanks for the fast reply. Well damn I always host my games and if I cant ban or kick people in the game then I won't download the game. That's a bummer. In halo 5 for PC it was a bitch to kick or ban morons off the server. The only way you could is if they were in the lobby. That was just stupid cuz they would just leave the game and come back in to do their hate and discontent or racists remarks or do their hacks in the game. Too much hassle to deal with for an Admin. You need to be able to kick and ban people "IN GAME" period. I have been hosting games online since 1998. O'well guess I have to pass on this game. Bummer sniff sniff. :(

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
1. Yes you can host your own games, if you're talking about dedicated servers ask Tweek.

2. You can kick people from your game but not ban them. (Use the console to kick unwanted players) I don't know if banning players from peer-hosted games will ever be a thing or if it's only possible on dedicated servers.

The command 'LogPlayers' logs info from all the players in the lobby, you want their player index.
Then the command 'kick' followed by a player index will kick a player from the game or lobby.

3. Yes but most of the popular servers are almost always full.

4. Forge isn't a thing and never was in Halo 2 but if you're interested in modding look for Assembly here on the forums. Also don't mod in public servers unless you're trying to catch a ban.

5. Yes but the most popular CTF game variant is played on Coagulation...aka CTF Coag. It's like an hour long and personally I don't find it fun. If you're looking to play come classic CTF on other maps your best bet is hosting a game and hope players join.

Jan 7, 2019
Thanks for the reply ;) But I will pass on the game. Even Halo 1 you could ban people when I hosted a Halo 1 server for 5 years called Rocket Whores. I won't host any game that you cannot kick or ban morons "IN GAME" off a dedicated server. Don't need the aggravation lol. Again, Thanks for the heads up. ;)

Oct 26, 2018
Thanks for the reply ;) But I will pass on the game. Even Halo 1 you could ban people when I hosted a Halo 1 server for 5 years called Rocket Whores. I won't host any game that you cannot kick or ban morons "IN GAME" off a dedicated server. Don't need the aggravation lol. Again, Thanks for the heads up. ;)
Alright well if you ever want to play now you know.

divine1gore

Staff
Project Cartographer Staff
Jan 12, 2019
Washington State, USA
Gamertag
divine1gore
Hm I wouldn't pass on it just because you can't ban people; I personally haven't even needed to kick anyone yet even though I found out recently that with the latest update I now have the power : )
The community isn't all that jerky like you might find in larger communities imo, I would say most people are just happy to be playing halo 2 lol.
Certainly with a dedi you can ban people with the server commands, but doing a dedi is going to be something you will need to get info on. I.e. how to set up the dedicated server since with Games for Windows Live you needed to patch the utility that came with Halo 2 to run a dedi, and since GFWL ain't a thing and we have a revised xlive.dll provided by cartographer, I'm not sure what all needs to be changed to get the dedicated server program to run correctly and connect to Cartographers server list.

divine1gore

Staff
Jan 12, 2019
Washington State, USA
Gamertag
divine1gore
1. Yes you can host your own games, if you're talking about dedicated servers ask Tweek.

2. You can kick people from your game but not ban them. (Use the console to kick unwanted players) I don't know if banning players from peer-hosted games will ever be a thing or if it's only possible on dedicated servers.

The command 'LogPlayers' logs info from all the players in the lobby, you want their player index.
Then the command 'kick' followed by a player index will kick a player from the game or lobby.

3. Yes but most of the popular servers are almost always full.

4. Forge isn't a thing and never was in Halo 2 but if you're interested in modding look for Assembly here on the forums. Also don't mod in public servers unless you're trying to catch a ban.

5. Yes but the most popular CTF game variant is played on Coagulation...aka CTF Coag. It's like an hour long and personally I don't find it fun. If you're looking to play come classic CTF on other maps your best bet is hosting a game and hope players join.
1. Are you saying that if I talked with Tweek I could get some of my dedicated server questions answered? The last I have seen about doing a dedi is a forum post on here where General 101 said that you have to figure it out yourself, because the stability of the server list correlated with the number of servers, so I assume that he doesn't want everyone who has the ability to Client host to try to do dedicated hosting, because then the server population might explode. But maybe that has changed since the update to the online tab?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019
Hm I wouldn't pass on it just because you can't ban people; I personally haven't even needed to kick anyone yet even though I found out recently that with the latest update I now have the power : )
The community isn't all that jerky like you might find in larger communities imo, I would say most people are just happy to be playing halo 2 lol.
Certainly with a dedi you can ban people with the server commands, but doing a dedi is going to be something you will need to get info on. I.e. how to set up the dedicated server since with Games for Windows Live you needed to patch the utility that came with Halo 2 to run a dedi, and since GFWL ain't a thing and we have a revised xlive.dll provided by cartographer, I'm not sure what all needs to be changed to get the dedicated server program to run correctly and connect to Cartographers server list.
Well you must have a good player base. On my server I have approx. 40 people in my ban list for Racist Names, Racial Slurs, Hacking and people that create hate and discontent to user's on my server. I will not tolerate that type of crap on my server PERIOD!. I guess their mommies and daddy's did not learn dim right lol

Jan 7, 2019
Well you must have a good player base. On my server I have approx. 40 people in my ban list for Racist Names, Racial Slurs, Hacking and people that create hate and discontent to user's on my server. I will not tolerate that type of crap on my server PERIOD!. I guess der mommies and daddy's did not learn dim right lol

divine1gore

Staff
Jan 12, 2019
Washington State, USA
Gamertag
divine1gore
A work around for not having banning power if you are client hosting is that you can kick players, and then close the party if you are worried that someone you don't want on your server might rejoin soon after being kicked. Although you might obviously want to re-open the party to allow other people; but having the power to control the party privacy i.e. whether or not people can join at all, and the ability to kick someone unwanted -- and kinda temp ban them by closing the party is one solution to the problem. :)