[solved] Can not set up local network games

Aug 15, 2017
Hello.

I am looking to use the "Network" option in Halo 2 Vista. I am wondering if there is a way to play with family and friends over a local network. I would not like to use Project Cartographer, as it does not support regular LAN functionality.

I installed Halo 2, applied the latest official update, and copied mf.dll and xlive.dll (from the 2009 XLiveLess thing).

When I click "Network", the game freezes. I can move the mouse, but as far as the game goes, it's gone.

Additional information that may be relevant:

I am running Windows 10.
Halo 2 is not activated. CD key ran out of installs.
On a previous install, I had Project Cartographer installed, and the "Network" option did not crash the game.​

If I am violating any sort of etiquette, please do inform me.

Edit: According to http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?16074-Halo-2-Vista-XLiveless, "multi player is completely disabled". So, that explains why it freezes.

Edit 2: Ignore this idiot. I tried using the Games for Windows Live client before without success, but apparently my client wasn't the latest version. I thought it was because the site I downloaded it from advertised it as the latest, and I couldn't check on the Microsoft site because only the Xbox app is available now.

Last edited:

mills

Staff
Project Cartographer Staff
May 10, 2017
hey
you can use cartographer to organize a game. LAN will probably not work through cartographer, but you can use VPN's to bypass this issue: if you port forward for the host computer (this computer must "create" the game), you can use VPN's on other computers to access the host computer.
there's a tool on the discord that you can use to disallow anyone from entering your game except for specific users, it's called "h2masterclientcmd"
this is a setup that allows you to create local games and play with only people from your network. it's quite a hassle, but it'll surely work