*Solving "no audio/sound" in singleplayer and multiplayer in MacOS 10.15 (Catalina)

Aug 24, 2020
shadowzkiller.webstarts.com
Gamertag
ShadowzKiller
Updated: August 31, 2020

I originally posted in this forum because I was unable to hear any sound/audio in the game but was able to solve this issue through other users and some personal troubleshooting. Here is what I learned. If you have other suggestions or methods that worked for you, post below! There are many people looking for answers to this topic but very little discussions can be found through Google.

Hey there.

This thread focuses on troubleshooting audio issues for Halo 2 Cartographer on computers running a MacOS 10.15 (Catalina).

Disclaimer: People have very different setups for their computers so the following method may not work for you.

Problem: You hear no audio in singleplayer or multiplayer.

Symptoms: The only sounds you do hear include 1 second “ooooh” sound when the game loads, achievement sounds, and infection sounds in multiplayer. The game also sometimes crashes or freezes when loading.

Basic installation instructions for those with MacOS 10.15 (Catalina)

1) Download and install Wineskin-Winery from: https://github.com/Gcenx/WineskinServer/releases/tag/V1.8.4
2) Open wineskin and click “+” to search for the engine “WS11WineCX19.0.1-1”
3) Install “WS11WineCX19.0.1-1”
4) Click “Create New Blank Wrapper” and make sure that ”WS11WineCX19.0.1-1” is highlighted under “Installed Engines.” Save as any name that you want.
5) Open the wrapper, go to > advanced > tools > winetricks
6) Under “dlls,” click “wmp9” and click run.
*If you get an error, try running “wmp10” instead.
7) Click close
8) In the same wrapper, go to “Configuration” and click “Install Software”. Click “Choose Setup Executable” and install using “h2pc_setup_1.8.1.exe”
9) Close everything after installation.
10) Open your Mac security and privacy settings. Add Wineskin and the wrapper (which is now an app) to “Accessibility” and “Full Disk Access”.
11) Disable SIP or System Integrity Protection on your Mac (tutorial here).
12) Close everything and restart your computer.
13) Try to run the wrapper. It might take a few seconds for anything to happen. Your computer may still try to ask you again if the app can have permission so be patient!
14) If the loading screen freezes, don’t worry, just wait a few seconds and try pressing the space bar or ESC.
*You can also disable the intro: in halo2config1.ini set "skip_intro = 1"
15) You should see the main menu and hear the menu music!

Other things to try:
-For screen options in the wrapper, select “X11” instead of “Mac Driver” and relaunch the game.
-In the Halo 2 game settings, change your screen settings to “Windowed” and relaunch the game.
-Try using headphones

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2016
USA
1. The audio files you see in the audio folder are for the mod and not the game. The audio is contained in the map files.
2. If you're using Wine you need to to use the 32 bit prefix.
This is also what someone mentioned on Discord.

And yeah i got sound in halo 2 to the other guy who didnt i had to install mf and wmp10 with winetricks

Don't ask me what any of it means. I don't use Wine.

Aug 24, 2020
Gamertag
ShadowzKiller
Thank you for your quick reply. I appreciate it.

Do you know which version of wine he was using (e.g. WS11WineCX19.01-1)? I tried installing mf and wmp10 using winetricks but receive "sha256sum mismatch!" error message.

If not, do you have the Discord name so I could directly contact the person?

Aug 25, 2020
Gamertag
Same with me @Classic Player, but I could hear only the humming sounds during the loading screen and sometimes the sound of the announcer when I join an Infection game but no other sound... I'm on macOS Catalina 10.15.5 and I'm using the Wine Engine (WS11WineCX64Bit19.0.1-1) with the Cartographer version 1.8.1...

Aug 25, 2020
Gamertag
I don't think re-installing would work and there is something in Windows PCs which is not on a WINEPREFIX, I asked the Developers on Discord and they said maybe it needed Windows Media Player 9 (winetricks wmp9), Windows Media Player 10 (winetricks wmp10) and Windows Media Foundation Pack (mf), but I can't install any of them because wmp9 and wmp10 need a 32 Bit Prefix and I have a 64 Bit Prefix and whenever I try to do (winetrics mf) it says a "sha256sum mismatch" error...

You could also ask the Developers on the official Discord server --- https://discord.com/invite/MR3CVtS

@Classic Player are you on macOS or Linux

Aug 24, 2020
Gamertag
ShadowzKiller
I don't think re-installing would work and there is something in Windows PCs which is not on a WINEPREFIX, I asked the Developers on Discord and they said maybe it needed Windows Media Player 9 (winetricks wmp9), Windows Media Player 10 (winetricks wmp10) and Windows Media Foundation Pack (mf), but I can't install any of them because wmp9 and wmp10 need a 32 Bit Prefix and I have a 64 Bit Prefix and whenever I try to do (winetrics mf) it says a "sha256sum mismatch" error...

You could also ask the Developers on the official Discord server --- https://discord.com/invite/MR3CVtS

@Classic Player are you on macOS or Linux
Thanks for your contribution to this thread as it helps me and probably others viewing. If this can be solved here, I would like to make some sort of guide for others.

I was actually able to install wmp9 by itself but not the others and got the same "sha256sum mismatch" error. I am using MacOS, Catalina (stupid OS).

I will look at the discussion Discord as well.

Aug 25, 2020
Gamertag
Thanks for your contribution to this thread as it helps me and probably others viewing. If this can be solved here, I would like to make some sort of guide for others.

I was actually able to install wmp9 by itself but not the others and got the same "sha256sum mismatch" error. I am using MacOS, Catalina (stupid OS).

I will look at the discussion Discord as well.
Well Thanks, also I forgot to ask you which Wine Engine are you using in Wineskin. As I am a macOS Catalina user which supports only 64 Bit, I can only use (WS11WineCX64Bit19.0.1-1), (WS9WineStaging64Bit5.7) and (WS9Wine64Bit5.6) and all of them are 64 Bit.

And to fix this "sha256sum" mismatch error... We should try testing on a different engine or we should find out what the hell is this sha256sum... Also at the end of Winetricks, it should be saying you to rename some file.... Maybe we could try doing that... #HaloIsBeingRevived

Aug 24, 2020
Gamertag
ShadowzKiller
Good yet interesting news.

I was able to get the audio working!

I am not exactly sure what made it work (and will probably re-think what I did over the next few days) but here are the main things that I did.

1) I made a new wrapper using "Wineskin-2.9.0.6-1"
2) I installed the engine "WS11WineCX19.0.1-1"
3) I ran "wmp9" in "winetricks" within the wrapper
4) I changed the screen options to "X11" instead of "Mac Driver." No other settings were touched
5) I installed Halo 2 cartographer
6) I closed everything after installation
7) I restarted my computer
8) Before running Halo, I made sure all other programs were closed

It works (for now?)

Note: The loading screening was still without sound.

My MacOS also only supports 64 bit but I could use the engine "WS11WineCX19.0.1-1". It is found at the bottom of the long list of other 64bit engines.
Side note: Have you also tried disabling SIP? I have that disabled.

Aug 25, 2020
Gamertag
I tried installing (winetricks mf) and it does nothing but causes the game to crash... My Discord ID is NoBLESaM and Gamertag is 1674... Add me as a friend and we'll talk about this there...

Aug 24, 2020
Gamertag
ShadowzKiller
I have SIP disabled, could you possibly upload the .app in a ZIP file so that I can check differences..
I guess I could upload "my app" but I need to find a good place to upload a 5GB file.

I tried installing (winetricks mf) and it does nothing but causes the game to crash... My Discord ID is NoBLESaM and Gamertag is 1674... Add me as a friend and we'll talk about this there....
How does the game crash? The loading screen for me also does not load properly (it freezes) but I just press ESC.

I was also thinking that maybe you need to allow the app "access." You need to add the app to "accessibility access" in "system preferences".

Last edited: