Spawn zones and spawn points

Jul 19, 2014
Gamertag
UF Beazt
Does anyone know how spawn zones affect player spawning? I used to ignore them as spawn points seemed to do the job, but it would be nice to know how they work. Halo 2 map editor manual is useless as usual and doesn't say much about it.

Mar 15, 2013
Spawn zones are manual radius areas that can set any spawn within the zone to team specific, respawn, initial or change them on the fly via a curcumstance, like flag is away or flag is home, etc...

While you can manually set each spawn, you sometimes cannot predict if a spawn setting will work properly in settings like ctf, or other team objectives. It's a delicate balance and you want to present teams with chances of good spawns to keep the gameplay twitchy and interesting.

Jul 19, 2014
Gamertag
UF Beazt
Twinreaper said:
Spawn zones are manual radius areas that can set any spawn within the zone to team specific, respawn, initial or change them on the fly via a curcumstance, like flag is away or flag is home, etc...

While you can manually set each spawn, you sometimes cannot predict if a spawn setting will work properly in settings like ctf, or other team objectives. It's a delicate balance and you want to present teams with chances of good spawns to keep the gameplay twitchy and interesting.
I sort of figured it out for the most part. While working on prisoner map I kept having player spawn all over the place on team gametypes, as you said it could happen. Does this mean that team setting for spawn points does nothing? I suppose I could test this by compiling a bunch of test levels...

Mar 15, 2013
No the team designation works but iirc it can get overrided by the logic. The area spawn fixes that by designating specifically that any spawn in the designated area is locked to a specific team, a specific circumstance and specific spawn type ex: initial, respawn, etc

Anz

Members
Mar 23, 2013
Gamertag
Anz11
About spawns on Prisoner, my first spawn was on snipe and I spawned there multiple times afterwards also. I dont think you could spawn there in H1 or Reach Anniversary and as top control is everything on this map I think you should change it if possible.

PS: Good to see you still around too Twin and I was wondering if you ever finished Powerhouse and the Construct remake (havent really played in 2 years), if you did is it anyway possible for you to share them with us?

Jul 19, 2014
Gamertag
UF Beazt
Thanks for letting me know, anz. From looking at original prisoner map in h1sapien I concluded that there should be spawns at towers. Perhaps I should have tested it in game. Either way this isn't reason enough for me to recompile the map and flood the map pool with another version.

Anz

Members
Mar 23, 2013
Gamertag
Anz11
Yeah its no big deal really, might actually work well in some cases. Otherwise the map was really good and the lifts worked nicely, better than ladders imo.