Win7 360 Controller/Mouse Issue

Apr 15, 2018
Gamertag
waitingtoolong
All,

I'm having an issue with the 360 controller not working properly as well as my mouse. Keyboard works fine. The cursor does not move when using the mouse (the main menu icons will flicker like they are being passed over). When the 360 controller does decide to work, the buttons are jumbled (or do nothing) and will occasionally pull up an on-screen keyboard. The right thumbstick (for aiming/looking) is also extremely slow in the X axis.

Anyone run across this issue? X360ce helped iron out the thumbsticks and triggers, but did not help with the buttons.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit professional, Intel i7 4790K, GTX 970, and using a wireless adapter for the 360 controller.

Thanks in advance!

tweek

Dev
Project Cartographer Staff
Nov 29, 2013
There are many possible issues at hand:
1. your controller hardware is failing
2. you are connecting your controller after starting halo 2 (connect controller, then start Halo 2)
3. idk about the mouse issue, are you in full screen mode? try switching to windowed mode to see your cursor
4. xinput controllers shouldnt need x360ce

Apr 15, 2018
Gamertag
waitingtoolong
1. The controller works fine with Skyrim, Fallout 4, and Far Cry. I wondered the same thing. Does not appear to be at fault.

2. I read of this issue and have been sure to connect the controller beforehand. The sticks and triggers work, but buttons still fail.

3. Looks like going to windowed mode fixed with the mouse issue. The controller issue stayed the same in this mode, however.

Thanks for the input! Now to figure out the controller issue.

Apr 15, 2018
Gamertag
waitingtoolong
delete it, and try halo 2 again
Done. Some success...

The thumbsticks are both working the way they are supposed to, same with triggers. The buttons are still off. B is jump, A selects objects but does nothing in the game, X and Y do nothing that I can tell. Back throws grenades. Start pulls up the start menu, but only in the game. Outside of the game it is the back button.

What are your thoughts?

tweek

Dev
Project Cartographer Staff
Nov 29, 2013
Try reinstalling the controller drivers for windows. Other than that I'm not sure, this is a peculiar issue