Assembly questions

Jun 6, 2014
I have been getting in the mood for modding lately. So far, I mess around with Assembly, recommended by H2MT. Anyone here uses that program too? I was wondering how to make the AI able to supercombine the player?

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
Should be in char, styl, or bipd. Unfortunately you cannot edit styl with Assembly. Char is locked down based on the character type and most of them borrow from each other so you have to be careful editing those. So check the biped (bipd) and remember if you edit a weapon or its damage this will affect everyone.

I made some pretty extensive changes to the existing campaign. You can learn a lot by just applying the patches, playing the maps, and then studying my tweaks with Assembly while you compare to the originals. H2MT Modded Campaign Maps

*The smaller files will give the same result yet you must apply them yourself to the appropriate (and unedited) campaign maps.

As always, backup up your original maps first. You use the app Super PPF to apply the patches.

Avoid using Gravemind. Eventually it will corrupt your files and show incorrect values, if not used very carefully with some tag edits.

Jun 6, 2014
Ah. I will check on that. I usually use Gravemind just to check the tags while I do the editing in Assembly. Will there be updates on Assembly, like plugin updates?

Jun 6, 2014
Welp, I still can't find it, even with Gravemind. It must be something there that I didn't see. Like a big "AI CAN SUPER COMBINE" that I managed to miss...but where... -_-:

supersniper

The lost soul
Project Cartographer Staff
Feb 14, 2013
www.youtube.com
Gamertag
supersniper
It's not a simple on off switch, "super combine" in Halo 2 is just a certain amount of needles hitting the player when their shield is down. It's more about the scripting and make sure the AI attack the player while their shields are down. If I remember Halo 2 most grunts shoot the needler at a very slow pace. you'd have to speed up their fire rate.

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
Yeah now that you say that I recall making the Needle Rifle (on custom maps) which has a super combine explosion after a certain amount of needles. But doing so in an existing map is trickier because you usually have replace existing weapons and their settings.

supersniper

The lost soul
Project Cartographer Staff
Feb 14, 2013
www.youtube.com
Gamertag
supersniper
you're missing the point, every AI that can wield a needler has the possibility to super combine. It's just based on the current scripting of AI in Halo 2 they were scripted to shoot at a slow rate of fire, and when the shield is down, they don't have a script to chase after the player to continually shoot them with their needler. (in halo2 you can just hide and wait for your shield to regenerate.

So in order for you to make AI (super combine). You will need to
  • Script the AI to chase the player when their health falls below a certain percentage
  • Increase the rate of fire of the needler for the AI (instead of a slow semi-automatic shot. make them do a long burst of automatic followed by a short pause)
  • either let grunts, buggers, elites, and/or jackals dual wield (because the needler was toned down quite a bit in halo2 because of dual wielding so it takes more needles than halo 1 or halo 3) or make the needler in your mod a single wield weapon and increase it's damage ratio.

Jun 6, 2014
I will try. Although, how to make enemies dual-wield? Like if an enemy was originally scripted to spawn with just one weapon, how to make them dual wield?

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
Inside of the map, you go to the tag section called SCNR (short for scenario). Locate the section called AI Squads, just below you will see the weapon. The weapon will be a number, to know what each number means you should locate the Weapons section and write down what each number equates to.

Okay so look further down and there is a sub-section that dictates what each member of that group will be and where they will spawn. In this area you will see more fields for weapons, set both of these weapons fields to the correct number for a dual wieldable weapon.

Save if you are editing the map. If you are doing this edit in RT (Real Time) while the game is running the do not save, use the quick poke function after making your changes, then test in-game, if you do not see a change then kill your player and retry.

Jun 6, 2014
Okie dokie!! So, just set BOTH the primary weapons and secondary weapons the same, right?

I also saw the "Spawn Permutation". I tried spawning a Zealot. Does it only change what the AI permutation is or does it really spawn the desired AI? Like I want to replace a Spec-Ops Elite with a Zealot.

Jun 6, 2014
(sorry if this is considered double posting)

In the SCNR, where can I check the spawned weapons, example like the Fuel Rod in Uprising. And also, how to change what weapons to appear in the Covenant Crates? or the ammo equipments?

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
Yes, set both to the same Weapon Palette numerical value.

---

The Spawn Permutation you mean is the one that changes that biped a variant of the same type.

---

The spawned weapons are placed in a different way then they are in MP. Thus SP weapons never de-spawn AFAIK.

The weapons should be near the top of the SCNR tag. You want the to edit the Weapons section which is right above the Weapons Pallet.

Jun 6, 2014
I see. I tested the permutation spawns; In the level Gravemind: I made the Zealot having based on the Ultra Elite AI so that it's tougher to beat, but I did spawn another Zealot in the Hanging Gardens section (A), the one with the three Spec-Ops Elites fighting 3 Brutes. The thing is, the one I spawned there has the health of the Spec-Ops Elites rather than Ultra. Did I do something wrong?

Regarding the weapon section, it is listed according to the first one you see right? Like for example, in Uprising, after you get your Plasma Rifle, the next thing was the sword. So I just need to change the Type to spawn a different weapon?

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
The characters inherit some of their settings from higher or lower ranked variants of themselves, so that could be a factor.

Some of the AI Groups are more picky about being edited and what the end result is. This could due to specific scripting for those NPC or something else like the Platoons.

With this type of modding you experiment a lot and test what happens, always keep at least three different backups from times when the modded map is working without any serious flaws, as you might later decide to undo changes. When that happens its much easier to just go back to a clearly labeled backup.

Write down your changes in Notepad, this makes it easier on you going forward and anyone testing the mod later.

---

Yes, change the Type. And then click Save Changes.

Thats why you make a list of the weapon values first so you can look at a number and know what it is, this also helps clue you in on which part of the encounter you are actually editing. I also use external tools like Entity that allow me to look at H2x (Halo 2 Xbox) Map files and their BSPs. Or you could go into the game and then use Ambiguous or Assembly to Real Time Edit the XYZ placement values of a weapon you need more positional info on.

Jun 6, 2014
Yeah, I'll get down on writing on the notepad when I'm ready for a more serious modding. I'm just having a test run with Assembly :D (So far just changing weapon damage, functions, and weapon and enemy spawns). But yeah, I'll get on writing on notepad.

And thanks for reminding me; I do keep backups of the modded maps in (currently) 2 different folders.

Also, I tried changing the XYZ thing with a sniper Jackal; I understand how it works a little bit now.

Speaking of which, is it possible to recreate a campaign map, like a custom map?

And do you test other people's modded maps?

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
I have converted a few SP maps to MP. Its a lot of work. An easier way is to use our Main Menu mod to load a SP map from the MP menu, this doesn't add any weapons or enemies though. If the extraction tools are ever released it would be pretty trivial.

One of my best SP to MP maps would have to be Outskirts PB7.

Mar 15, 2013
Its how much damage is passed from the vehicle to you. Aka, the rear of the hog gets shot, and a portion of damage is passed to you.