GPU problems...anyone got an idea?

Jun 5, 2013
Butuan City, Philippines
www.facebook.com
Gamertag
protato117
I'm having GPU problems...I've tried a different GPU (9500 GT) and it works just fine. The gpu that has a problem is a GTS 450 anndd every time I leave it off for like 30 min or more I get a "video_tdr_failure" on every boot and when it boots device manager says (error 43.) and it doesn't seem to detect my GPU whenever I check dxdiag.

anyone have an idea to what my problem possibly is? and how to possibly fix it? unless its really dead...or dying according to some forums I read... :/

I'm using windows 8.1 x64, 16gb ram, an intel core i5 2400 CPU and an asrock h67de3 MOBO...

Attachments

Mar 22, 2013
www.twitch.tv
Gamertag
XHN SCRAPY
[click=http://us.download.nvidia.com/GFE/GFEClient/2.0.0.0/GeForce_Experience_v2.0.0.0.exe[DOWNLOAD GEFORCE EXPERIENCE HERE[/click]

install it and get newest latest drivers for your gts450* i have had the sparkle gts450 for about 2 years i think and not one issue, other than a fan dying and i replaced the fan with a Corsair H70 Hydro Cooling system :) lol

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
You should make sure that your PSU (Power Supply) has enough Watts and 12 Volt Rail(s) to handle that card.

Usually you can find this info on the side of the PSU (inside of the case), then compare to what the card requires online. If you have been running the GPU on a system with just barely enough power then that can damage the GPU after a while.

Feb 15, 2013
Melbourne, FL
www.shawnm5.com
Gamertag
Shawnm1700
I have an issue with the new geforce driver also. It does not install any drivers and i get basic drivers on boot. Get a previous geforce driver to fix it. Recent geforce drivers suck for me i rolled back to november drivers and now i dont have to run my cpu cooler at 100% to play with no frame lag. Windows drivers are glitxhey for me I guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2013
Melbourne, FL
www.shawnm5.com
Gamertag
Shawnm1700
Get the driver behind the latest one and try that. Also do you have instant boot enabled in the bios? You should also just use the win 7 x64 drivers for your board.

Jun 5, 2013
Butuan City, Philippines
www.facebook.com
Gamertag
protato117
Shawn said:
Get the driver behind the latest one and try that. Also do you have instant boot enabled in the bios? You should also just use the win 7 x64 drivers for your board.

lol like you said... I'm using a november driver from last year...and I'll have to check if instant boot is enabled. should I have it enabled? ._. or disabled? and I'll have to wait overnight or a few hours cuz I only get the error after leaving my PC off for more than an hour or something... which is really strange...

Jun 5, 2013
Butuan City, Philippines
www.facebook.com
Gamertag
protato117
soo rolling back to 331.xx drivers didn't help fix the issue at all...so I guess it really is just my GPU... :/ I'll try to do a clean install some time soon...maybe that'll help or going back to windows 7, but then again...I've had this problem on win7 as well...just not as severe though...or save up and buy a new gpu... ._.

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
I'm telling yaz. Power is key to a proper GPU. You need to make sure you have enough 12 Volts on the Rail(s) to support it, otherwise it will kill your card.

Looking at this pic you provided:

I think its saying you have 17Amps on both 12 Volt Rails. So that would be 17 x 2 = 34, 34 is pretty good, but if its only 17 that is pretty low. So I will do some quick research on your card...

...okay according to this site:

The NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 video card requires a 400 Watt or greater power supply with a minimum of 22 Amps on the +12 volt rail according to NVIDIA for a single GPU, so you are covered for one card.

I Googled a bit but could not find any specific info on your PSU (that was in English) so I do not know if thats a 17 on the 12-Volt Rail or a 34. Again, for your card 17 will kill it, but 34 would be okay. However, you also have to factor in the power draw of your other devices.

Feb 15, 2013
Melbourne, FL
www.shawnm5.com
Gamertag
Shawnm1700
It is 17 amps only not multiplied so yes it is low. I had a gts 450 and had to get a new psu when i got it. But that is not really the issue. It has to do with another issue i think.