Project Cartographer: Playing Campaign in 4:3, Cutsceens Don't Play in Widescreen

Jan 4, 2021
Gamertag
antarctico
I've got a slightly retro setup using a giant, honkin' 22" CRT monitor, and I have been playing campaign in 4:3. My cutsceens are not popping into wide screen (meaning 16:9 with black bars top and bottom) like they would playing Halo in 4:3 on the Xbox 360 or Halo Custom Edition on the PC. My cutsceens are zoomed in to fill my full screen, and the sides are cut off. It has been a few years since I played Halo 2 Vista, so I don't remember if this is "normal" when playing in 4:3, or if this is an issue with Project Cartographer. Any help/feedback would be really appreciated!

Arnav

Members
Aug 21, 2020
Gamertag
AmarD
The letterboxes for cutsceens don't appear on higher resolutions (16:9). I don't remember after which ones though, cause I play on mostly 640*480 or 800*600. On these two resolutions I can confirm that letterboxes appear.
What resolution are you running?
Restart the game in 800*600 in windowed mode, and maximise the game using
_windows key_ + _Up Arrow_ once you login to main menu.
Then switch to borderless full-screen using one of the function keys. Its either F7 or F8. Use F2 which will show you the keybindings for that.
Let me know your results.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020
Gamertag
pumacens
Project Cartographer is not designed to play Campaing yet. Either you play online, or with your Original Halo 2 game you play Campaign. Its better to have to separare installation of Halo 2. One with project cartographer and your original.

Jan 4, 2021
Gamertag
antarctico
What resolution are you running?
Restart the game in 800*600 in windowed mode, and maximise the game using
_windows key_ + _Up Arrow_ once you login to main menu.
Then switch to borderless full-screen using one of the function keys. Its either F7 or F8. Use F2 which will show you the keybindings for that.
Let me know your results.
I played around with my resolution, and found this was the root of the problem. I was playing at 1920x1440, which is high enough to require Project Cartographer's High Resolution Fix so my menu button text is displayed without being truncated. I dropped the resolution at fullscreen down to 1600x1200, and my cutsceens played in widescreen as they should. My Previous CRT did not run higher than 1600x1200, so I did not have this issue on my last play through. Thanks for the suggestion!

It would be nice if Project Cartographer had a high resolution fix for cutsceens at resolutions beyond 1600x1200 in 4:3, but I think my situation is likely fairly unique! :D

Arnav

Members
Aug 21, 2020
Gamertag
AmarD
Glad it worked now for you!
I strongly believe this problem is inherent to the game itself; on MCC this problem reverses, the letterboxes are present only on non 4:3 FOVs.
See this comparison guide to OG Xbox and H2 vista. This is the same thing I recommended earlier which might help you out in the future.
Letterbox effect in cinematic cut scenes only appear when the game is rendered in a 4:3 resolution.
  • Though if the game is set to a 4:3 resolution and then the resolution is increased through external means then the bars will still function just fine while having a higher resolution.
Comparison of H2V and OG Xbox Halo 2

Jan 4, 2021
Gamertag
antarctico
Glad it worked now for you!
I strongly believe this problem is inherent to the game itself; on MCC this problem reverses, the letterboxes are present only on non 4:3 FOVs.
See this comparison guide to OG Xbox and H2 vista. This is the same thing I recommended earlier which might help you out in the future.

Comparison of H2V and OG Xbox Halo 2
I was all fired up about MCC until it got released as a buggy, unfinished mess. Also, the dubious model/texture/lighting changes by 343 really leave me unenthusiastic. I think I will, for the time being, continue to enjoy my classic Halo experience divided between my PC and Xbox 360. I will say, I am proud that I learned how to not suck with an Xbox controller in Halo after being only a keyboard and mouse guy on the PC. And, thanks for the H2V OG Xbox Halo 2 link. That's some very interesting, crazy stuff!:D