Halo 2 PC: Lets make an updated ISO

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
There is something I've been talking to UF ShadowTeddy about it recently; an updated Halo 2 PC ISO could make it easier for the average user to join the battle online.

This ISO could be downloaded via torrent and run by mounting the image, or burning it to a physical DVD. OR, perhaps it would come in an installer form where there is no ISO, just an executable file; such as an executable 7-Zip that is preset where to extract to.

It would include:

• Project Cartographer - XLiveless
  • MF.dll & a collection of DLLs for the curious cats
  • Modified mainmenu.map - slot map support, no menu music, blue filter removed
  • Custom maps - ~48 custom maps, plus 10 slot maps, possibly some H2.5
  • Custom Map Restriction Remover
  • Links to various Halo related sites / info
  • Tools - ???

What would you like to see included?

Aug 20, 2015
Gamertag
guy298
Maybe you could use your mad haxor skillz to throw in an extra main menu item that gives some tutorials/info on how the project works and/or how to set up servers and other things of that nature? Circumvent the need of a readme, just in case if this does get distributed in some apocalyptic, post-internet scenario where people only have burned dvds to play lan games on. That was a strange thought...

Fun fact: Windows 10 has built-in ISO mounting, so no daemon tools, just a right click. So just giving an ISO to people isn't a huge pain in the ass anymore.

Oh! Maybe even throw in that reshade mod teddy was talking about earlier as an optional addition!

May 29, 2015
Teddyland
unitedfalconclan.roflforum.net
Gamertag
UF ShadowTeddy
AS for tools, Sndrec's mouse thingy would be perfect. And for the modders, How about Assembly/Ambiguous Alpha?
Also, include the Dedicated Tools. Maybe as a standalone thats included in the Self Extracting Archive?

I'd like to think of the ISO versions in increments;
The basics - All you need to have a really good experience on H2V
And the Enhanced - Only For the Modding Savvy! The tools required to create custom campaign scenarios and mod the game even further, and make custom maps!
Obviously, these tools won't be able to be used in MP for cheating purposes (I was thinking, have the dedicated servers run a CHECKSUM for any cheating tools/memory edits done to the game. If they're found, then players get a 4 hour ban with a message telling them why. If it's a recurring matter, then there would be a rule where they would just get flat out banned.) But this isnt about banning and cheating counter-measures!
Its about deployment people!

I was also thinking, Have two options?
One which requires no install, just extract and play (Like Eldewrito)
And The other, good to earth, good ol' fashioned install (Which is where the ISO comes in)
As for the post apocalyptic internet thought:
I like your style. And now I honestly think that could happen :p
Maybe have an easteregg in the mainmenu? >_<

Speaking of the mainmenu, I was speaking to Magic (AKA Supersniper) and i was saying:
'Hey how cool would it be if each person got a custom tag? Like the bungie.net staff tag?'
'So If your a part of the H2MT team, you get the H2MT Tag'
'If your a Project Cartographer Dev, you get the Dev Tag'
'H2V Hub member? H2V Hub Tag'
'Eldewrito Team? (Like Fish) ED Tag'

I've been really getting into the Aesthetic Hacks of the game (I coined the term, and its caught on! ^^ ) And I would really like this to come about. Maybe have it as an app/in the actual mainmenu? (Which makes it all that more Legit/Prestigious as anyone could then become a 'Project Cartographer Dev' )

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
Good ideas, I wonder if the default installer looks for map file size/checksum, or if it would copy over extra maps. I'd like to include a lot of tools but I don't want people abusing them online either; lordy knows I've got lotsa apps. I could include tutorial videos but I think its easier to depend on links and youtube as that option is more dynamic in scope.

May 29, 2015
Teddyland
Gamertag
UF ShadowTeddy
Youtube is incredibly dynamic and VERY helpful, some people love to have visual aids while figuring out new things and halo 2 modding/map creating is no stranger to this!

I would think that the default installer does some form of a checksum when verifying files. BUT i've never tested this out so im not too sure. It wouldn't be too difficult to test out anyway, place a couple of files into the map folder contained within the H2PC ISO. Judging by the fact that Halo 2 is incredibly locked down, I'd assume that the installer follows this general trend, but who knows?

supersniper

The lost soul
Project Cartographer Staff
Feb 14, 2013
www.youtube.com
Gamertag
supersniper
Well I created an iso file of the original halo 2 disk.

Instead of creating our own iso we should create our own "update" which installs all the new features we are wanting to include in the OP.

Aug 20, 2015
Gamertag
guy298
While that is also a good idea, I think the intent of making an iso that comes with the game install is to allow the technically uninclined (in very political terms) to easily install and play H2O (just got the h2o thing, I feel dumb...) without installing a patch/moving around .dll's and all that. Basically, to offer a single install way of playing online. Just my thoughts.

PNill

Lead Dev
Oct 25, 2015
Gamertag
TDxPermaNulled
guy298 said:
While that is also a good idea, I think the intent of making an iso that comes with the game install is to allow the technically uninclined (in very political terms) to easily install and play H2O (just got the h2o thing, I feel dumb...) without installing a patch/moving around .dll's and all that. Basically, to offer a single install way of playing online. Just my thoughts.
Personally I'd enjoy if someone just ditched the entire ISO all together and made an installer package so people didn't have to mount, burn or extract and thing and it was just a one click solution.

supersniper

The lost soul
Feb 14, 2013
www.youtube.com
Gamertag
supersniper
So you want a 4gig+ executable file? to me that sounds obnoxious. Or we have an installer that will download the files off a server, which then will eat up a bunch of bandwith especially if many people are download these files at the same time.

It is more practical to have an ISO or extraction of the major game. and installer for the modified or added on patches and files.

PNill

Lead Dev
Oct 25, 2015
Gamertag
TDxPermaNulled
supersniper said:
So you want a 4gig+ executable file? to me that sounds obnoxious. Or we have an installer that will download the files off a server, which then will eat up a bunch of bandwith especially if many people are download these files at the same time.

It is more practical to have an ISO or extraction of the major game. and installer for the modified or added on patches and files.
No see, what you do is do what other games have done and make a small executable stub with compressed files aside it which are extracted by the installer so they can download an entire archive or they just download the pieces.

But regardless I just feel like by doing things which don't offer a "one click" solution we limit the player base it's why things like steam are so convenient they don't require you to extract anything, or do anything besides download their client and run it which then offers you games with no additional effort as well.

(I don't condone piracy and nor does Project Cartographer I'm just saying if it were done heh.)

Aug 20, 2015
Gamertag
guy298
PNill said:
(I don't condone piracy and nor does Project Cartographer I'm just saying if it were done heh.)
IMO, It stops being piracy when you can't legitimately buy it from the primary retailer. I know you're supposed to buy it for $20 + shipping from some dude on ebay, but that's not practical for a lot of people.

Edit: Fixed a malformed quote tag.

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
PNill said:
guy298 said:
Personally I'd enjoy if someone just ditched the entire ISO all together and made an installer package so people didn't have to mount, burn or extract and thing and it was just a one click solution.
That seems like a viable option, as mentioned most users will be on Windows 10 and Win10 can mount ISOs, however some users are that dumb and it would remove a step to simplify the installation into an exe setup format. In the past G4WL and activation were huge issues, as you know, so this would not be as easy of a setup back then.

The one click all-in-one type look and feel is the most important aspect of this project. So the ISO is out, the executable is in.

If H2PC is to prosper, an installer like this would not only help, it might help curb the nosTEAM installer; which is awful.

Himanshu01

Lead Dev
May 16, 2013
India
Gamertag
Himanshu01
I agree that one click install might be good solution but supersniper is also right about downloading the files again. Why becuz__
1: the ones having the original installer or dvd or iso will have to redownload everything
It will surely frustrate them to have to download the game again
2.moreover they might loose their interest to download the files if it happens. And they might leave over and switch to tunngle or other games

So what I want to say that we make an update just like Modders did with eldewrito aka halo online
They used despite updater to easily download the files from server .
We can use the h2online.exe to download the files from h2v.online or any other and in this way people will be always updated with new maps mods and stuffs fixes etc.
So using h2online.exe as dewrito updater is better idea

PNill

Lead Dev
Oct 25, 2015
Gamertag
TDxPermaNulled
Himanshu01 said:
I agree that one click install might be good solution but supersnicer is also right about downloading the files again. Why becuz__
1: the ones having the original installer or dvd or iso will have to redownload everything
It will surely frustrate them to have to download the game again
2.moreover they might loose their interest to download the files if it happens. And they might leave over and switch to tunnels or other games

So what I want to say that we make an update just like Modders did with eldewrito aka halo online
They used despite updater to easily download the files from server .
We can use the h2online.exe to download the files from h2v.online or any other and in this way people will be always updated with new maps mods and stuffs fixes etc.
So using h2online.exe as dewrito updater is better idea
We would obviously offer both a standalone installer for just the mod for those who already have the game, and another with the entire game for those who don't.

PNill

Lead Dev
Oct 25, 2015
Gamertag
TDxPermaNulled
supersniper said:
Well if we are offering both then there's no reason not to make a 1 click get all :)
Yes, there is which we've already outlined and detailed..

Not everyone will know how to extract or mount the ISO.

Aug 20, 2015
Gamertag
guy298
For review:

*There will be a one-click executable for installing h2v along with project cartographer.
*There will also be just a project cartographer installer, for those who already have h2v installed.
*The existence of the second one doesn't make the first not one-click.
*It is important to offer both, the first for those who are impatient, and the second who don't want to download a massive file.

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
I'm hopeful that a release like this will make it easier for everyone, especially the casual user. This would encourage more players. More players would instantly have custom maps so less time spent waiting for one person to download. When someone needs a specific tool they already have it inside the installation.

Now, if its an installer, does it still ask for a key during install?

PNill

Lead Dev
Oct 25, 2015
Gamertag
TDxPermaNulled
Kills Alone said:
I'm hopeful that a release like this will make it easier for everyone, especially the casual user. This would encourage more players. More players would instantly have custom maps so less time spent waiting for one person to download. When someone needs a specific tool they already have it inside the installation.

Now, if its an installer, does it still ask for a key during install?
No, it never asked for a key on install in the first place that only happened when you were connecting to LIVE at least for the ISO I was given.

As for custom maps and such, I actually plan to fix the map downloading sir.

May 29, 2015
Teddyland
Gamertag
UF ShadowTeddy
The ISO which i've linked to most people (Labyrinth - Syzygy) includes activation. But if one uses the MF.dll and skips activation the game believes that its 'activated'. This wouldn't work in GFWL, you had to input a product key when linking an Xbox live account to Halo 2.

Also, why not just include a universal updater/installer for halo 2?
Get people to install the game
get them to download <halo2updaternamehere.exe> which has options for different tools (So you can choose to install the dedi server, Assembly, Ambiguous, etc) Also some options will be greyed out (Like the H2PC update and the Project Cartographer files, which are essential)
The file will be considerably big (or just have it like ~6mb in size and have it download files from a server)

There are many ways where this could go. We just need to find one way which we can all agree on.