Apr 20, 2013
Gamertag
Headhunt3r v3
Made this after hours and hours of tinkering, this is the best way to get Halo 2 running on Ubuntu based Linux distros.
(idk if this works for EVERYONE, but this is what I have done to get the game running on MY Linux machines, it SHOULD work for everyone though)

also a halo custom edition tutorial as well just cause

Apr 20, 2013
Gamertag
Headhunt3r v3
IMPORTANT UPDATE: if you have the game crash with any gamepad button press, try installing and using wine version ge-protonified-nofshack-4.9-x86_64 in lutris!!!

Dec 14, 2018
Gamertag
fredfredb3rg
I followed the video for Halo 2 and some things I found that worked better for me, on Manjaro 18.0.4
  • I found that I could just run winetricks straight from the menu rather than use the terminal command and it worked perfectly.
  • I found that when running tkg-4.2-x86_64, I had lag so I changed to lutris-4.13-x86_64 and saw a huge performance improvement.
  • Having the 'Windowed (virtual desktop)' turned off rather than on ran better.
Still, a great guide

Sep 17, 2022
USA
Gamertag
husky3g
Any updates to this guide for the Steam Deck? I have been beating my head against the wall for days trying to get the game installed and running in Lutris and I can get it up and running, able to join online games, etc but when in the menus or in-game, there is no audio, even after adding in the DLLs. I get audio on the intro and the startup screen but after getting to the menu there's nothing, just dead silence - Using ALSA/PulseAudio in Wine/Lutris.