Help: Need A Guide For Split-Screen Online!

Dec 10, 2017
Gamertag
Beach
Hey Everyone!

After a couple hours of Googling & trying things, I really could use some assistance with this. I have a couple buddys that regularly come over to play Eldewrito and I just put one instance on each monitor with HOSS.

There isn't a program for H2PC as far as I know that does this & I haven't been able to successfully launch two instances and get online. I created a second xlive file called "xlive2.ini" and switched the port for that one to 2000. But I am still running into various connectivity issues or launching issues.

Goal: Run H2PC on each monitor and be able to play in servers together online from the same PC
Secondary goal: Run H2PC on each monitor and play campaign together

Problems I've encountered:
- Both instances don't successfully establish a "master connection", and then one can't enter games bc of this
- The keyboard/controller controlling both instances. How do you disable each one & specify it in durazno?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! While Eldewrito is great, H2PC has a lot more nostalgia and enjoyable gametypes for my crew. I'm talking MLG FFA's, team MLG, team snipers. etc. I've done a lot of research but haven't found the info I need yet.

Thanks for any assistance!

PC/Network Specs in case:
CPU: i5-4690k
GPU: 1060 3gb
RAM: 12gb ddr3
Router: WRT1900AC w/ DD-WRT

Last edited:

mills

Staff
Project Cartographer Staff
May 10, 2017
Hello,

First of all, you need multiple accounts (one per instance). When you log in using the launcher, you create an xlive.ini file (as you have noted). You also get a login token from the master server. Each instance needs a different login token and a different account. So, the best solution would be: log in, pick a base port, close halo 2, copy xlive.ini to xlive2.ini. Relaunch the launcher, log in using another account, pick another base port, copy xlive.ini to xlive3.ini. Relaunch and finally login with your main account.

As for controls, this one gets tricky. There are 2 ini files which are generated for these: h2startup1/2/3.ini and Duraz{no,00}.ini (can't remember the last one).

h2startup.ini contains a parameter which is this one:
# disable_ingame_keyboard Options (Client):
# 0 - Normal Game Controls
# 1 - Disables ONLY Keyboard when in-game & allows controllers when game is not in focus
disable_ingame_keyboard = 0
This parameter needs to be set to 1 EXCEPT for the instance using mouse & keyboard.

Once this is configured correctly, you will notice only one instance will be affected (when the window is focused) by mouse and keyboard. This will also be the instance that needs to be focused when playing split screen.

The next problem you will have will be the following: when playing, even though the mouse/keyboard instance is focused, every controller will influence the other instances. This can be fixed with the durazno ini files.

In the Durazno inis you will notice there is a section for Controller0, Controller1, Controller2. What you want to do is disable every controller except for one, per instance that uses a controller.
Example for first instance using a controller (Controller0):
[Controller0]
Disable=0
[Controller1]
Disable=1
[Controller2]
Disable=1
[Controller3]
Disable=1
Example for second instance using a controller (Controller1):
[Controller0]
Disable=1
[Controller1]
Disable=0
[Controller2]
Disable=1
[Controller3]
Disable=1
The "..." indicate other information which should not be removed or modified (unless you know what you are doing).

Please note that notepad can not write in program files since it needs admin privileges, so you might want to run the number of instances you want (3 instances for 3 monitors, for example) and then copy the generated files to a new folder on the desktop, edit them, then copy them back.

Hope this is clear

*** Additional information ***

In the latest update:
  • No need for login tokens as logins are now in-game. Still need one account per instance.
  • Base ports are automatically configured to be 2000 for 1st instance, 3000 for 2nd, 4000 for 3rd, etc.
  • The "Disable in-game keyboard" setting is now in the Cartographer menu (in-game).
Useful:
  • InputMapper is a tool which will make windows think the PS4 controller is a 360 controller (not tested by Cartographer team but suggested by a user) - useful since Durazno only supports Xbox controllers.
  • Once windows have been resized (when starting in windowed mode they should be resizable), F8 can be used to go borderless windowed but ONLY in the main menu.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017
Gamertag
Beach
Thank you! You've helped me to fix nearly all the issues as well as understand them better. I already configured the controllers/keyboard part of it and have that working correctly for multiple instances thanks to you.

Still having trouble with this part though:
First of all, you need multiple accounts (one per instance). When you log in using the launcher, you create an xlive.ini file (as you have noted). You also get a login token from the master server. Each instance needs a different login token and a different account. So, the best solution would be: log in, pick a base port, close halo 2, copy xlive.ini to xlive2.ini. Relaunch the launcher, log in using another account, pick another base port, copy xlive.ini to xlive3.ini. Relaunch and finally login with your main account.
No matter what I have tried, I am still having issues with logging in in-game. Even with differing xlive files, it still gives me "Base Port 1000 is already bound to! Expect MP not to work"
My process is:
  • Overwrite xlive.ini with my base profile ini (with baseport 1000 & main login token)
  • Launch Instance
  • It connects to MP
  • Overwrite xlive.ini with second profile ini (with baseport 2000 & second login token)
  • Launch Instance
  • Second profile/instance gives "base port 1000 is already.."

I've tried copying the entire directory & having one for each profile. Launch one with main ini, then go to other directory, overwrite ini with second profile, and launch. Same problem. Exhausted all the different ways of launching I could think of.

I'm pretty certain I have the controls all figured out now for each window, just a need to resolve the logins and I'm good to go :)

Dec 10, 2017
Gamertag
Beach
Thanks to the help of a friend from here on discord as well as you guys, I've figured it out!
Thank you so much.
I'll put it all into a mini-guide and post it soon, this is definitely worthy of a sticky IMO.

Dec 5, 2017
Umm Uhhh. I don't know if this is the place to say this but no matter what I can't get both instances to Master connection. Any help?