Brainstorming Map Session #1

Mar 15, 2013
Elevator Warfare?!? I can only assume that means you want something like a large rectangular tall box, with tons of elevators going up and down?

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
Thinking about elevators in-game lead me to thinking about the movie Cube, and then to Portal. So scratch that train of thought.

I think elevators could be done and Kirby would be the best to ask about a script. They would have to move slowly or they would probably launch or kill the players, perhaps both.

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
We looked into it awhile back for a variant of Tombstone SP AI with the pillars removed, they would be stored below the map which would be accessible via an elevator. As I recall Kirby did not have any success, I could ask him to refresh me on how far he got.

Glitchy Scripts

Lead Dev
Project Cartographer Staff
Apr 9, 2013
GlitchyScripts.com
Back to the topic of map ideas lol.
- an Infection Gametype sounds great!
- Speed Halo with that too.
- Garbage man/Trash Compactor, Hide/Seek Town, Jenga and monster trucks/bumper cars (over deadly pit) (from halo 3)
- and race maps as said before, sounds good.
Getting an infection gametype imo is a must.

Here's another idea for a map:
Something like a map based from (campaign) Delta Halo, (the area on the hill before you activate the bridge at the start of the mission), and you have a rocket marine in passenger and a standard gunner on the back of the warthog and there are many ways down the hill (extend it rly far) and enemies everywhere, objective is to make it to the end first, rolling or not ;D

Hell, i'll try and help, i've been wanting to make a map in Halo for years. never got any of my silly designs out of 3ds max. some were actually kinda good tho. i'll really begin looking into map making within the next week or so....

Mar 20, 2013
Hawaii
www.h2mt.org
Gamertag
Kills Alone
The main parts of a model:
The render model - What you the player see - In most cases we can make this model
The physics model - Where and how it repels the player - We can only modify existing models
The collision model - What and where the player can bang into it - We can only modify existing models

Then there are animations; we cannot currently make or extract animations. Even editing existing animations does not work well. That is why we cannot make an elevator through traditional means as seen in other parts of the game and its why many a potential H2V modder/mapper grows annoyed with Microsoft.

When I want to remake a custom weapon like say the Halo 3 Assault Rifle I have to rely on some existing components that cannot be created from scratch. So for the H3AR I must borrow the animations and collision from whatever weapon looks and operates in a similar fashion, so for most rifles I borrow from the H2 Battle Rifle.

I mention all this so you guys that are trying to make some suggestions understand how telling us to replicate something in game is not always an option for us and why that is.

Regarding the infection mode app, I believe it was CHP (CodeHPro) that made one recently that has pretty decent functionality, I don't know if he released anything, would be best to ask Kant or SuperSniper as they might know more about it.

Glitchy Scripts

Lead Dev
Project Cartographer Staff
Apr 9, 2013
GlitchyScripts.com
Kills Alone said:
Regarding the infection mode app, I believe it was CHP (CodeHPro) that made one recently that has pretty decent functionality, I don't know if he released anything, would be best to ask Kant or SuperSniper as they might know more about it.
I was talking to Kant and SuperSniper and apparently the app is gone and needs to be remade, also the app was broken when it did exist. :/

Edit: More suggestions (from halo 3)
- "Cat" (Gametype) in "the tree" (Variant)
- Break the Floor (poles holding up blocks and infected guy uses vehicle to knock them down (not over, if you know what i mean) )
- Trap Map (saw maps/indiana jones) (physical traps everywhere likely to explode, crush or burn you)

A lot of the maps i'm suggesting are only small maps that were kind of popular when i played halo 3. (i plan on trying to make these once i figure out what my problem is with importing into sapien)

Anz

Members
Mar 23, 2013
Gamertag
Anz11
Here´s the map I made on H4 forge. Just got it done yesterday, but it´s still under work, but atleast it´s playable already. Was thinking of something like that for long time before I got onto it and I´ve gotten many ideas from maps that are made here. Wish I could make these for H2V.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZLp_KASF6U

Mar 15, 2013
Dude that's a dead sexy ass map! I would love to see a miss-mash Pit/Turf map like that for h2. Hmmm.... Maybe you and I should colab on something Anz? I got both bsp's and plenty of H4 assets at hand and ready to go.

Anz

Members
Mar 23, 2013
Gamertag
Anz11
That would be cool and I´m willing to help any which way I can. I like the idea of blending some already existing maps together and take the best parts of them to make a map with good gameplay. I think some parts could be taken from District (which I still intend to try on that map) and other urban style maps. Sanction by Scrapy and Pirate Eggs was one of the inspirations for me when started this and there must other maps made like that too. Frostbite is also a good custom map on H2V and I´m probably gonna try to make that next or symmetrical Zanzibar like Holidays Grave, but a bit smaller scale.

Mar 15, 2013
Well if your good enough with 3dsmax and stuff, shoot me a message with what you need model and texture wise, and I'll be glad to help.

Mar 22, 2013
www.twitch.tv
Gamertag
XHN SCRAPY
also with turf i was trying to make a symetrical version but with 4 turf models so that way it was a big box with 4 smaller boxes in it with walk ways and with just buildings and what not that we could hide in and stuffs lol

Anz

Members
Mar 23, 2013
Gamertag
Anz11
I really don´t have any expertice on 3d studio max like you guys do. i mainly meant that i could help in any visual side of things. I mean to get into that 3d studio max, but its hard to focus on something without a definite goal with the servers supposedly going down and all. but i will lend any assistance anyway and i try get on more games with you guys if god or timezones allow me to. hey scrapy nice to see you on and i try to get on games more and play instead of just chatting bs while im drunk. no time to waste on halo 2 or life lol!!!