Brainstorming Map Session #1

Mar 15, 2013
I like your style Anz! Hopefully this "Halo Boot-Camp" game thing they are showing at E3, will be our dream come true. I'm hoiping to see it be a full port of Halo 3 aloing with some sort of unique "Be a Spartan" aspect of gameplay to it. Hoping for full editor...

Anz

Members
Mar 23, 2013
Gamertag
Anz11
Got one new map in my fileshare called Skyhigh BETA for H4. It´s remake of Countdown from Reach and Ivory Tower from you know what game, with a bit of Skyline DLC map from h4. Have to work on spawns pretty much (still suck at those, but it works pretty well already with symmetrical games like CTF and TS). Have to trim the budget there to make the frame rate better too. Next I´m trying to make symmetrical Zanzibar with some things taken from Waterworks, got it to a good start and have to play more H2 to get some more ideas for that!

Anz

Members
Mar 23, 2013
Gamertag
Anz11
Thanks Kills, always appreciate what you and Twin and whole H2MT team make for this game. Those custom maps have always brought new life to this game, atleast for what I´ve seen. I´ll try to get some vids for this map (hopefully from the same source cause I liked that vid he made for it and that music was damn awesome too that he provided for that). And that´s all I can provide you guys for your maps, cause I can´t make maps with 3D Studio Maps, but maybe I will learn someday!

Kantanomo

Dev
Project Cartographer Staff
Feb 14, 2013
Gamertag
H2Bot
I want a factory map that has a bunch of conveyor belts and tubes that move things around, even some nonsensical methods like a catapult that throws boxes.

Anz

Members
Mar 23, 2013
Gamertag
Anz11
I want a factory map that has a bunch of conveyor belts and tubes that move things around, even some nonsensical methods like a catapult that throws boxes.
Sounds like a bastard child of Elongation and Foundry to me, wish there was stuff like that available for forge (moving objects and such). Funny that newer Halo games than H2 doesn´t have things like garage doors that open like on Zanzibar.

And Kills I´d like to have my vids on your channel and maybe I can ask Grub Xero (he could probably cap them as he streams also) to make some vids of my maps and send them to you. Right now I have Terminal, Turf Pit and that Skyhigh map in my fileshare and I actually need some footage of the Skyhigh to post it on forge forums, but I need to make a V1 of it first.

Kantanomo

Dev
Project Cartographer Staff
Feb 14, 2013
Gamertag
H2Bot
I had a wicked idea for a custom map that would be loaded with scenery and objects, where you would use an app we would develop that would allow you to spawn in objects and move them around Forge like. Of course the moving of things would be incredibly ghetto, but it would save the configuration to a file that you would load into another app as a host or server that would spawn them in the given configurations.

but of course like all my nice ideas, we just don't have the mental sanity to go through with it.

Anz

Members
Mar 23, 2013
Gamertag
Anz11
That´s a nice idea Kant, but its regressing from what you already have here with all the limited programs already. I had some ideas for that Zanzibar that I can you use with those barriers and wooden crates (only destructible object on H4 forge). I think H2V should go a bit further and innovate stuff like you guys have done already. I wish Kills or Twin could make StatutoryTroy to make a comeback to make those maps. I know he started from beginning with 3D Studio Max and the map making program for this and it gives me hope that I can figure out that someday too. And a H2 (not Vista, but all platforms would be the best, H3 would be cool too with that said) with all those things open it would be damn awesome!

Mar 15, 2013
So Kant, basically you want a map that is open, and has a ton of things like scenery and objects from the Reach map Unearthed? That map had a lot of conveyor surfaces and a lot of mining type structures. If that is some thing you wish to see, I just happen to have a ton of structures like that ready to be added to a nice open map. Give the word, and I'll make a quick 1 hour mock-up and you can give me direction from there...

Mar 15, 2013
I'll take that as a yes :rofl: I'm off on tuesday but I might get a chance before then to run some terrain generation and place some things. We'll see what happens...

Jun 6, 2015
West Swindon
www.halo2vista.com
Gamertag
AudibleImp
I designed a map based between an image I got from reading Halo: The Flood on the ring and the Maze Runner area.
It is supposed to be the pure feeling of being surrounded, outmatched, outgunned and your last hope is where you respawn. The map is in the night with a tree line basin around a single square base in the middle of an open field of long grass (about half the height of a Spartan) - the field is probably about two miles in diameter. The base is at the middle with two or three stationary weapons on the roof. When you enter the base, ammo is lying on a table to your left and a exploding barrel is to your right. Keep going forward and you would reach a ramp which goes down into a tunnel. The tunnel stretches under the field and forest to the bottom right corner of the map where the player will exit into a small shack. A rack of close quarters guns lies to your right. Outside is a Warthog or Ghost. Team 1 respawns cover the base in the middle of the field - NOT the shack, that is used for traps and means of escape when under heavy fire. At the bottom left tree line, a canyon cleft raised up from the ground holds a sniper rifle and the player can see across the map and into the windows of the base. Outside the base would be a couple of rocks - similar to Coagulation's ones which holds an MA5C Assault Rifle. To the top right of the map would be another cave entrance where further on it would be blocked, and inside it would hold the deadly red energy sword. Amongst the long grass would sit a SPNKr Rocket Launcher for taking out vehicles. Team 2 respawns match 2 or 3 per side of the forest, this means you respawn in the forest and can sneak along the grass to attack the prey hidden inside. Suppressed SMGs lay outside the base in the long grass and a Spartan Laser is hidden among the trees in the forest - a special for the player to find. If Team 1 players exit the base and go onto the field they are sitting ducks and can be blown away by a sniper sitting along the canyon cleft.

The map image design will come shortly as I do not know how to import images from your library and onto the topic - it only allows internet URLs for the image.
Nevertheless I have provided a detailed account of the map design and hope that you consider the designs.